BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As a guy who loves cars and driving them on the street and racetrack....I am so sad and disgusted with how drifting has taken hold. The point was hammered home when I saw the the Fifth Gear review of the M3 vs. the C63 where the M3 lost some points because the M differential prevented excessive wheel spin which gave less smoke than the C63. This is not an M3 discussion but a drifting discussion in general as I have seen members here who love to try to drift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_YCd5tqK9g

What have we come to? When reviewers dock points because the car is better designed to drive instead of burning rubber with stupid drifting!

I hate drifting, it serves no purpose and it is just stupid.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I quite enjoy watching a good drift. A good demonstration of a driver's car control.

That being said, Tiff's use of the car's ability to drift and smoke the tires as a measure of a car's worth is absolutely ridiculous.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Love Tiff but Phuck Fifth Gear; Top Gear holds a special place in my heart and the "Stig" would have shown them differently.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I'm with t-bone on this one... I never saw the purpose of drifting... Waste of tires if u ask me. By the way can the c63 take me? :)

·
Moderator Emeritus
915 Posts
What have we come to? When reviewers dock points because the car is better designed to drive instead of burning rubber with stupid drifting!
Couldn't agree with you more. My friends and I couldn't believe points were docked for not producing as much "smoke" whilst going round a corner. ouich I guess they just wanted pure "theatrics" and nothing else on that test.

Top Gear put the M3 head to head with the C63 and RS4 and aired that months ago!

·
Registered
458 Posts
I'm with t-bone on this one... I never saw the purpose of drifting... Waste of tires if u ask me. By the way can the c63 take me? :)
Agree with both t-bone and bd 997; fastest route around a curve is not a curve. And about the C Class; isn't that a "chic" car?

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
At the right times it a load of fun. Especially if your at that point where its time for new tires.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
At the right times it a load of fun. Especially if your at that point where its time for new tires.
+1. Thumbs up on the fun factor. I can't get enough of it. Being on the edge of control can be thrilling.

Thumbs down on using it as a car evaluation criteria ouich

Dave

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
+1. Thumbs up on the fun factor. I can't get enough of it. Being on the edge of control can be thrilling.

Thumbs down on using it as a car evaluation criteria ouich

Dave
+1 on both the above.
Just like screwin around in the snow - what's the point? - just havin fun!
My wallet can afford the tires but I have a hard time getting past the "guilt" of wasting the tires - so I limit my fun.:3:

·
Registered
737 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
There's something about a car that can go straight, then sideways, and return to going straight. It's a demonstration of the car's stability. That said, drifting is only fun for me as part of a larger track run as a tool to take tight corners with style.

Cameron

·
4,354 Posts

F drifting if the car gets a little sidesways it should be because the tires aren't able to hold the weight and as far as differentials go if it's just gears and no electronics i'm fine but if it's another computer picking out what to do then F that too {so yeah F the M-diff}

·
Registered
350 Posts
As a guy who loves cars and driving them on the street and racetrack....I am so sad and disgusted with how drifting has taken hold. The point was hammered home when I saw the the Fifth Gear review of the M3 vs. the C63 where the M3 lost some points because the M differential prevented excessive wheel spin which gave less smoke than the C63. This is not an M3 discussion but a drifting discussion in general as I have seen members here who love to try to drift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_YCd5tqK9g

I hate drifting, it serves no purpose and it is just stupid.

Thanks for reading.
I agree with you. Very well said.:1zhelp:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I'm also not a big fan of drifting but still doing a drifting course. I think it's the best way of learning to control the back sliding in slippery conditions. I thought as a GT2 owner it might be a useful skill. :haha2:

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Drifting is fun and requires skill. It's something I enjoy watching. But it shouldn't be something a car MUST be able to do, thats ridiculous.

I have to agree with you that a car shouldn't lose points because it can't smoke its tires...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Drifting is fun!!! I always enjoy driving a powerful rear wheel drive car...

I've seen the video as well and understand Tiff's explanationof why M3 lost some points... It's much more impressive for outside viewer when there is a lot of smoke!! I love their tv show and one of my favourite vids is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSoRdkiONmE

·
Registered
435 Posts
Drifting should be done in winter conditions with quattro-drive! That's when life gets a purpose... :wroom:

Wasting good tires on drifting sports cars in the dry is generally something only motor journalists afford themselves to do.. Which of course makes the whole 'dicipline' quite stupid for reviewing a car.. :3:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts