BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on a bit of a Porsche rampage lately...three weeks ago I bought a 996 GT3 Cup car, and now I just traded in my 07 M6 in on a 2003 Porsche Turbo X50. Arena Red over grey with a 6 speed manual. GT2 bumpers, intercoolers, and rear wing. Why on earth would I do something so daft you ask? Well, the M6 just feels slow now. I finally got the ABC suspension sorted out in my 2004 S600....and oh how that car has ruined me. It's 4600lbs making 532 at the wheels with just a tick over 600 torque at the wheels, so it just sprints to 60mph in 4.3 seconds (with the tires on fire). The M6? Well, it's probably 4.9 0-60? It was annoying not having fun in the BMW anymore. Why should my sports car be slower than my daily driver? It shouldn't be. I've already got a Eurocharged tune on the way for the 996TT, so it will be interesting to see just what it's like. Besides the speed, I've been craving another stick shift car. The F1 system in the BMW is great (well, maybe not great but at least good), but it's still an automatic. I really miss having three pedals. Also, I needed a car to take to the Silver State Classic in Nevada this September. Thanks to my back, I can't road trip BMW's, so the beetle sounds like a perfect candidate.

Oh, did I mention the Porsche has carbon ceramic brakes? :grinyes:

Couple of pictures from the seller:

I will miss the exhaust note of the M6, it's one of my favorites. I just love that V10 howl. It's been a fun car, so maybe I'll wind up with another one day.

Reactions: Fiftytwoeighty

·
Registered
706 Posts
Rocking a turbo my lol self but only due to my m6 is getting repaired and my wife has my

Attachments

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
That sure is one purdy Porsche. :thumbsup::applause:

Personally, I would have tossed the MB to the curb and kept the M6. :hiha:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rocking a turbo my lol self but only due to my m6 is getting repaired and my wife has my
How do you like the Cayenne? I keep eyeing the 2006 Cayenne Turbo S....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sure is one purdy Porsche. :thumbsup::applause:

Personally, I would have tossed the MB to the curb and kept the M6. :hiha:
Thank you! I can't wait to see it in person. It looks like a stunning color. The Turbo's are hard to find in a color. Sure, they make bright yellow, fire-engine-red (yuck and double yuck), also some nice shades of blurple (yuck), a bunch of grey's (boring), silver (boring), and black. Arena Red isn't even a 996 color--so I'm assuming it was a custom ordered car. Arena Red was pretty big on the 993's.

Here's a better shot of the Arena Red (not my car or picture):

I would keep the M6, but it kills my back and hips. I have long legs, so by the time the pedals are far enough away, I am no longer able to reach the steering wheel. That's been the same story with every BMW I've owned (X5, E36's, M6) as well as my father's M5. It's really annoying, but Mercedes are the only cars I can drive long distance in without being in crippling pain at the end. Just last week I wound up doing a 500 mile road-trip in the S600. I was actually going to take the M6 (and a handful of Motrin), but my fuel jugs wouldn't fit in the trunk. I really wish BMW would design their seating position better, as I love driving them. Sure, the Mercedes are nice and fast, but they just aren't a fun driver's car.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Not to be rude but you are one of the pickiest people I've seen post on this board. Actually you ARE the pickiest person judging from your opinion on all those colors you stated above.

I'm confused on why you have back pain but want a sports car. If the M6 wasn't comfortable enough for you (maybe you didn't have the seats in the optimal comfort setting suited for you), how is any sports car going to be more smoother/comfortable? Please clarify if you can.

You can't compare your modded S600 to your stock ex-M6. It appears you criticize the M6 way too much and since you seem like a wealthy guy buying all these porsches, why not spend some of that money on tuning/adding a supercharger to the M6. I can guarantee you it will be faster than your daily driver

Again, not hating...just stating my opinion.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Not to be rude but you are one of the pickiest people I've seen post on this board. Actually you ARE the pickiest person judging from your opinion on all those colors you stated above.

I'm confused on why you have back pain but want a sports car. If the M6 wasn't comfortable enough for you (maybe you didn't have the seats in the optimal comfort setting suited for you), how is any sports car going to be more smoother/comfortable? Please clarify if you can.

You can't compare your modded S600 to your stock ex-M6. It appears you criticize the M6 way too much and since you seem like a wealthy guy buying all these porsches, why not spend some of that money on tuning/adding a supercharger to the M6. I can guarantee you it will be faster than your daily driver

Again, not hating...just stating my opinion.
No hard feelings! Let me start off by saying I am insanely picky--probably too much so! :cool2: Not so much of condition but more of color and options. Before I bought the Turbo I was looking for a 2005/6 CL65. My criteria are (I'm still looking): Bordeaux red or Capri Blue metallic, fully loaded including distronic (radar cruise control), less than 50k miles, no more than three previous owners, Renntech ECU/TCU tune is okay but no other mods of any kind. So yes, I'm a bit bat**** crazy when it comes to my cars.

Sorry, let me clarify: back/hip/knee pain and it's due to the seating position in BMWs. Every BMW I've sat in, the pedals are too close and the steering wheel too far away, so I'm all scrunched up in my legs in order to reach the steering wheel. If BMW made adjustable pedals, then all would be well. When my knees are up around my ears and my arms stretched out as far as they go (exaggerating), it's not exactly ideal. Whether it's a 7 series or a Z3 I have the same problem. As for adjusting the seat? Trust me. I've tried. I've tried moving closer in order to tilt the seat base, moving the seat back and having the base more flat, I've tried it up, down, and sideways--unfortunately, to no avail.

With that said, why, you ask, did I go buy some rinky-dink beetle? We have a 996 C4S convertible in inventory currently, so I went and sat it in. I was overjoyed to find that the seat can be adjusted back far enough where my legs aren't all cramped and I can still reach the steering wheel. So, I figured I might as well give one a shot. I'm going to install euro GT3 one-piece seats in it, and for whatever reason, I can usually drive for hours in them. I don't know if it's the angle of the seat or what, but when I drove a GT3 rental from the Nurburgring to SPA I was completely fine the whole way (and then back again that night after all day on track).

As for tuning? If and when I find a car I really like then I'd be all for it. Look at my '93 325is that's now a GT1 class racecar. As for a street-car sports-car? Well, when I figure out what I can live with....

Reactions: jimsm6

·
Registered
550 Posts
Each to their own but if I was as picky I wouldn't have bought a 2003 Porsche, may be a newer reg. However they are most uncomfortable cars I've been in, fart karts....lol
Mercedes s600 is not a sports car by any stretch of imagination and the Seats in m6 are as comfortable as Mercedes e class. I have driven over long distance with chronic spinal problems with no issues at all.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Of course it isn't just the cars dimensions that are in play, humans aren't all the same you know! Long body short legs, long legs short body, 9 stone, 19 stone etc etc. Personally I find the M6 one of the most comfortable cars I have ever owned (24k miles in 10 months so far) but I suppose when like me, you have the body of an Adonis, every car is comfortable!!

I had the pleasure of driving a 911 turbo for a little while and from memory it felt like the quickest car in the world!! (I know, I know....a hire car is the quickest car in the world!). Would love to see a best of three 0-100 and some 60+ rolling races between the 2, stock of course.

Surely the M6 is rarer though!?!

·
Registered
615 Posts
I don't call MB picky, I call him discerning. Finding a color that is different than what you see all the time sounds perfectly fine to me! The M6 is not a good comparison to a 911 Turbo since one is a GT Tourer that is fast for it's size and the other is just a balls-out sports car. The fact that he has a Mercedes that is a comfortable fast as hell vehicle makes it much easier to go with a true sports car.

I don't know that an M6 is rarer than a 911 Turbo. Maybe if you lump all the 911 models (c2, c2s, c4, c4s, c2 cabrio, c2s cabrio, c4 cabrio, c4s cabrio, gt2, gt3...the list goes on and on!). But if you are going to put the Turbo in with all the lower models you would have to do the same with the M6, lump it with the 645/650's on the road that have the same body and chassis. Then is it rare?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Each to their own but if I was as picky I wouldn't have bought a 2003 Porsche, may be a newer reg. However they are most uncomfortable cars I've been in, fart karts....lol
Mercedes s600 is not a sports car by any stretch of imagination and the Seats in m6 are as comfortable as Mercedes e class. I have driven over long distance with chronic spinal problems with no issues at all.
You are so right. They've attempted to make it "sporty" by adding dynamic seats, a fancy hydraulic suspension, blah, blah, blah, but no it's not sporty--it's merely a nice place to be.

I don't really like the 997's. The interior feels cheap to me and I don't like the way the 997 Turbo drives. Unless I'm mistaken, the 997 uses variable vane turbos, which broaden the powerband and lessen turbo lag. In doing so, they've made the car feel slower. The 996s do have a powerband and do have turbo lag, which make it all the more fun (to me anyway).

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
That is a beautiful color car-that would be my pick. The fact is regarding seats, etc., its a very personal choice although I find the m6 very comfortable for long distance cruising even though I've had two back surgeries. The worst car ever for me, although I loved it was the CLK55 AMG-just killed me after a long trip.The leather sports seat were like concrete.
Also, the M6 was not designed to be a stoplight to stoplight racer. I've had Porsche turbo's and that's what they do best but from a roll, the M6 is equal to or faster than many other sportier cars from the same design era. I can emphatically state that my car is a lot faster than the 4.9-5.0 that you quote and am willing to bet pink slips that it is.hiha

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is a beautiful color car-that would be my pick. The fact is regarding seats, etc., its a very personal choice although I find the m6 very comfortable for long distance cruising even though I've had two back surgeries. The worst car ever for me, although I loved it was the CLK55 AMG-just killed me after a long trip.The leather sports seat were like concrete.
Also, the M6 was not designed to be a stoplight to stoplight racer. I've had Porsche turbo's and that's what they do best but from a roll, the M6 is equal to or faster than many other sportier cars from the same design era. I can emphatically state that my car is a lot faster than the 4.9-5.0 that you quote and am willing to bet pink slips that it is.hiha
You must be at sea level. I'm in Colorado at 5000ft elevation. NA cars up here choke. There's not enough air. Turbo cars still lose some power, but not as bad as NA cars.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
That's a good point-yes, I'm at sea-level in California on the coast and not in a high elevation.
Bill

You must be at sea level. I'm in Colorado at 5000ft elevation. NA cars up here choke. There's not enough air. Turbo cars still lose some power, but not as bad as NA cars.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't call MB picky, I call him discerning. Finding a color that is different than what you see all the time sounds perfectly fine to me! The M6 is not a good comparison to a 911 Turbo since one is a GT Tourer that is fast for it's size and the other is just a balls-out sports car. The fact that he has a Mercedes that is a comfortable fast as hell vehicle makes it much easier to go with a true sports car.

I don't know that an M6 is rarer than a 911 Turbo. Maybe if you lump all the 911 models (c2, c2s, c4, c4s, c2 cabrio, c2s cabrio, c4 cabrio, c4s cabrio, gt2, gt3...the list goes on and on!). But if you are going to put the Turbo in with all the lower models you would have to do the same with the M6, lump it with the 645/650's on the road that have the same body and chassis. Then is it rare?
Discerning, perfectly said. Thank you. :thumbsup:

Personally, I like colors. The 1950's, 60's, 70's, 80's, and early 90's all had colors. Mid 1990s was when car colors went to ****. Suddenly, everybody decided the only acceptable color for big sedans was black. Everything else had to be some nothing color--for instance a blue-ish-purple-ish-beige-ish-grey. Or some god awful "forest green" which had blue undertones. Why? Why is that necessary? What happened to coral, to turquoise, to baby blue, to pastel yellow, mint green, etc. I want colors! Everything nowadays is just utterly depressing--not to mention completely devoid of any imagination. grrrrrrr

In my neck of the woods, I have the only M6 I've seen. Heck, there are only three E63 6er's in my town; one of which was my M6. If the E60 M5 counts, then there are two of those in the city that I see occasionally. As for Turbo's? I've seen probably a dozen or so. Well, maybe not quite that many, but there are far more than E63's (M6 or not).

1 - 20 of 43 Posts