BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It made me miss my M5! I was really worried about this new line of F80 M3 and F82 M4 making me think my E60 M5 would be slow and falling behind, but test driving the M4 today did not make me think that at all.

I'll start off with looks and interior. I do actually like the look of the M4. It looks refined, but aggressive at the same time. One interesting thing my friend Joel mentioned was that a guy on the forums owns a Black Sapphire M4 and he doesn't like the fact that the BMW roundel isn't on the hood anymore, so whenever he closes his hood there are fingerprints left on it haha. This car is in dire need of spacers or wheels with perfect offsets. It could easily use 20mm spacers in the F&R I think. The interior didn't wow me too much, except I did like the front seats. Kind of like the BMW Performance Seats, but the luxury version. However, the leather did make them a bit slippery and I did kind of slide around. There is the ///M emblem on the seatbacks of the two front seats which illuminate (looks nice at night. I saw my friend's F80 M3 this past Saturday and it did look cool with those emblems on the seatbacks lit up). Nice carbon fiber trim as well. The front seats also have electric motors for moving forward to allow passengers in the rear, unlike the E92 and E46 M3s where lifted the car up. Allows the passengers in the rear an easier time to exit. The cabin didn't feel too small to me when I sat in it, but once I sat back into my M5 I realized its small size. Not too small though, I didn't feel that cramped like I did in the E9x M3's.

Now for the drive...but first the start-up. The salesman started the car up to bring it out and the cold start made the car sound quite nasty, TBH, and in a bad way. I didn't like it at all...IMO sounded like a lawn mower. Once the cold start was over, the car was QUIET. Like SUPER quiet...I was quite shocked in fact. Couldn't hear the exhaust at all really. Anyhow, he takes me and my friend Joel for a quick ride down the road and of course the first thing I noticed was the low end torque. The salesman kept jumping between 4k and 5k RPM to show us all the torque at our disposal. So after about a minute of driving we pull over and I jump into the drivers seat. I must admit that it is quite nice having all that torque once you touch the pedal. However, I did feel some of the turbo lag so it didn't take me by surprise like I thought it would. The car does pull pretty hard, harder than my M5 in the low end for sure. The salesman claimed that we were on the most aggressive settings, but he wouldn't let us press the Power button as he said we had to wait until after the 1200 mile break-in before engaging the Power button. That didn't make much sense to me since on the M3/M4 all it does is change the throttle response, AFAIK. I also wasn't allowed to take the car above 5k RPM, but even then the torque was great. Took the car around a corner and it felt okay (note that this M4 did not have the Adaptive Suspension). Of course it's not like taking a corner in my boat of a M5, but I wasn't super impressed, but again this M4 didn't have the Adaptive Suspension. The sound in the cabin sounded pretty good, but of course we know that is because of the Active Sound pumping through the speakers. I still like the sound of my Dinan exhaust and Evolve intakes more though. The DCT shifting is quite faster than my M5's SMG, but I didn't like the shifter on the M4. It required more force to shift gears (instead of a "tap" I had to "push") and had a lot of feedback from the lever. The paddle shifters felt fine though. From a dig no doubt this car will be faster than my M5 because of having all its torque at the touch of the pedal and it being lightweight, but once we start getting up to speed we all know the M5 will overtake it.

So for the cons...I didn't like quite a few things about the car. First, the dash. The speedo and tach look a bit artificial which I didn't like. I like the old school look of the E6x and E9x M dashes. Also, I noticed that there was a rattling sound coming from the back, and it was from one of the fold down rear seat latches. I already mentioned the turbo lag and the exhaust. The car just didn't feel raw and I didn't feel as connected to it. The torque was nice, but that was all it really had from my test drive. I'm sure around the track it would be great though. Again, I couldn't go past 5k RPM or press the Power button so for all I know it could completely change my mind if I got that increased throttle response and allowing me to actually unleash all its power. And I already mentioned the sliding around in the seats. The salesman also didn't seem very confident (nor was he very knowledgeable on the car specs) so perhaps he didn't set the car to its most aggressive settings as he said he did.

Overall, I have to say I would take my car, modded as it is, over the M4. For a stock M5 though, I will say the M4 outperforms it by quite a large margin. If I had not modded my M5 to the way it is today then I would definitely like the M4 more and be more inclined to get one. As I mentioned in my first sentence - driving the M4 made me miss my M5. The overall driving experience I feel is just more exciting in my M5 with its high revving F1 inspired V10 and the non-turbo muffled exhaust. Even the clunky SMG makes it feel more analog and connected vs the super fast shifts of the DCT. The moment I parked the car back at Stevens Creek BMW I knew I didn't want it. Didn't even bother test driving the F80 M3 at that point.

Perhaps after my friend friend finishes his 1,200 mile break-in period on his F80 M3 he can change my mind.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Nice review man. I am pretty intrigued by the M4. Used to have the E46 M3. Hoping that after some tuners get a hold of it, we will see it's true potential. Would be nice to have both the E60 and the M4. haha

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice review man. I am pretty intrigued by the M4. Used to have the E46 M3. Hoping that after some tuners get a hold of it, we will see it's true potential. Would be nice to have both the E60 and the M4. haha
I initially wrote that "the M4 could work nicely as my DD", but I deleted it haha

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,393 Posts
Thanks for the review Randy! I really want to get behind the wheel of one that's been broken in, but without the salesman...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
So does this M4 continue to trend of BMW softening their cars? I had a new 3 series loaner a while back and was quite disappointed with the overall feel.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the review Randy! I really want to get behind the wheel of one that's been broken in, but without the salesman...

Totally. As I mentioned, since it was brand new (actually had 120miles on it already...) we were limited with how much we could push the car. The Power button limitation really made no sense to me...but maybe someone can educate me if truly you shouldn't press the Power button until after break-in??

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So does this M4 continue to trend of BMW softening their cars? I had a new 3 series loaner a while back and was quite disappointed with the overall feel.
From my test drive, I would say so. But again, this M4 didn't have adaptive suspension which I hear is pretty nice. I haven't tested a F10 M5 though so I can't say from a M5 perspective, but from my driving of E46 M3s, E9x M3s, and now the F82 M4, then yes, for the M3s the trend is holding true with the cars I drove.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Thanks Randy for the great review. I was invited to test one but have yet to and you may have saved me the trouble. i told the slaes guy to look into upgrading my wife's 435msport and received no response.
I am still curios but at this point will not sell the M6.
Bill

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Randy for the great review. I was invited to test one but have yet to and you may have saved me the trouble. i told the slaes guy to look into upgrading my wife's 435msport and received no response.
I am still curios but at this point will not sell the M6.
Bill
If you can get a chance to drive one with the Adaptive Suspension I'd love to hear your review. It was nearing traffic hour so my friend and I couldn't really take it around the corners much.

I guess I just expected a lot more from it in its stock form, like a P-car :D. Needs some more work to really WOW me and want me to trade in my M5 for it. But like I said, the M4 could make for a nice, but expensive, DD :)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
From my test drive, I would say so. But again, this M4 didn't have adaptive suspension which I hear is pretty nice. I haven't tested a F10 M5 though so I can't say from a M5 perspective, but from my driving of E46 M3s, E9x M3s, and now the F82 M4, then yes, for the M3s the trend is holding true with the cars I drove.

Thanks for the review from someone from the M5 camp. Though everything I have read has been mostly opposite of your review and I thought R&T had a pretty good talk on the brand is dying camp:

5 reasons BMW nuts should respect the 2015 M3 and M4 - Road & Track

Though I dislike turbos the M4 is the only car that has got me excited about an M product in years. I wanted to like the F10, but jut can't even though it's faster I personally hated the size and many other things, but I loved driving the 428i and look forward to the M4 drive.

These two are at Seattle right now as their demo units. Can't wait until they are fully broken in then I'll go drive.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the review from someone from the M5 camp. Though everything I have read has been mostly opposite of your review an I thought R&T had a pretty good talk on the brand is dying camp:
5 reasons BMW nuts should respect the 2015 M3 and M4 - Road & Track

Though I dislike turbos the M4 is the only car that has got me excited about an M product in years. I wanted to like the F10, but jut can't even though it's faster I personally hated the size and many other things, but I loved driving the 428i and look forward to the M4 drive.

These two are at Seattle right now as their demo units. Can't wait until they are fully broken in then I'll go drive.

Cheers
I guess my comparison was against my modded E60 M5. First dyno results showed the F80 M3 making ~430whp and ~370ft-lbs tq. Those numbers are comparable to the stock E60 M5, just with an advantage in the torque realm. I wasn't comparing the M4 vs its predecessor. My friend Joel has a ESS SC'ed E90 M3 and he test drove the car with me today and he likes his modded car more and agrees with me that vs a stock E90 M3 he would probably prefer the M4. We were comparing the M4 to our current modded cars and the whole M4 driving experience just didn't feel as fun and exciting as our cars. But if I had to pick between the M4 and a stock E60 M5 (or almost stock M5...I did drive a fellow m5board member's almost stock M5 last week, but I won't say whom ;)), I think the M4 wins my vote. But compared to my modded M5? Based off of my test drive today I would take my car hands down.

Again though, we were limited by what we could do with the car (i.e. no Power button and only a 5k RPM limit). I wouldn't be surprised if I test drove a broken-in F80/F82 and my thoughts on the M4 changed. We also couldn't take the M4 around the corners due to traffic hour.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
good review. I need one of these sexy beasts to replace my daily.

ps - back on the good friend side of the world. ;)
Haha it would make for a good daily :)

It is a phenomenal car, esp with all the tq at 1800RPM. No doubt it can handle twisties better than our boats (it did 7:52 around the ring). I just like the overall driving experience of my car more :)

Will be interesting to see what the tuners can do to this car...assuming they can crack the ECU. Otherwise we're just looking at a bunch of piggyback tunes, just like the F10, which still can push out a lot of power.

Something needs to be done about that exhaust though...

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
(or almost stock M5...I did drive a fellow m5board member's almost stock M5 last week, but I won't say whom ;)),

Are you talking about my slow ***** car?...:crying:
haha I tried to keep your identity anonymous, but you just had to step forward =P

I never said it was slow...I just said I would possibly (likely :)) take the M4 over your car LOL

Reactions: E39 GaGaN

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
That's fare, but at no time did I say it was better than E60; just think for stock production they have done a great job out of the gate (on paper). You mentioned what they are claiming for whp, do that math and the #/hp is impressive!

But it will be a cold day in hell when the M5 leaves my stable. If the M4 beat all aspects of the E60 then I'll be surprised; but I know it won't happen;)

Cheers!

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Randy was this at Stevens Creek? I test drove one from there and compared to an M5 I actually liked it (stock v stock) of course I would never get one as both my cars beat the crap out of the M4 at this time :hihi: but the interior and trq is much better then the old E60 M5. If I was in the market for a new DD then this would be on the short list.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
See
Randy was this at Stevens Creek? I test drove one from there and compared to an M5 I actually liked it (stock v stock) of course I would never get one as both my cars beat the crap out of the M4 at this time :hihi: but the interior and trq is much better then the old E60 M5. If I was in the market for a new DD then this would be on the short list.
Yes, it was. And I agree with you as I mentioned compared to a stock E60 M5 I would likely take the M4. But I wouldn't take the M4 over my modded M5.

The torque was quite amazing, especially in the low end as I mentioned. All of its torque at 1800rpm.

However, there were the little things about the interior that I didn't like that I listed off (shifter, dash, rattle of rear fold down seats handle, slipperyness of the seats). I think it's better than the pre-LCI E60, but not THAT much better than the LCI E60. The carbon fiber trim is nice looking though.

And yes, I did also mention it would make a nice DD. Seems like we are on the same page. It's not that I don't like the M4, I just wouldn't take it as a replacement to MY modded M5.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts