BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my clutch seemed to be struggling recently - banging hard into first, giving me the 'Yellow Cog' when stuck in slow traffic, every now and then I would get the rubber-band affect.
After reading a post on this board I decided, on the off chance, to have my relays replaced. A relatively quick and cheap job, about $5000-ish cheaper than a new Clutch.

Wow. The improvement is immediate and noticeable. Shifts are so much cleaner I cannot possibly describe. I am on about 115000 KM's, and with my experiences recently I would recommend everyone about to hit 100k also replace theirs.

The dealer was telling me before they did it that I would most likely have to replace my clutch. Turns out I don't - at least for a while.

The original post on this board can be found here, on this board.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Sounds great, good news for you! Which specific relays did you replace? Everything is worth a try when running our cars!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
The noticeable improvement in shifting and smoothness may be due to the SMG just re-adapting...

Give it a week or two and see if the symptoms come back.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MTV10, looks like you were on to something with the re-adaptation bringing back a few of the symptoms. After a few days in the clear, the 'rubber band' acceleration occurred again.

Interesting that re-adaptation (which I would think should be a good thing) actually seems to hurt ride quality.

Overall it's still better than it was, but it's not quite the panacea I originally hoped it to be.

·
Registered
666 Posts
So....you changed the SMG supply relay and got an improvement in shift quality?hmmmhmmm I guess i'm confused with the correlation between the two. Care to elaborate? I could see the shift solenoid having a direct influence on shift quality but the SMG pump relay?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So....you changed the SMG supply relay and got an improvement in shift quality?hmmmhmmm I guess i'm confused with the correlation between the two. Care to elaborate? I could see the shift solenoid having a direct influence on shift quality but the SMG pump relay?
Can't speak with great authority as to the correlation I'm afraid - I was following in the footsteps of someone else on these forums, and thought I would report that my experience had been generally positive. I was sceptical as to whether anything would change, but so far It has - for the better.

It's worth noting that I also replaced the transmission relay (Transmission Oil Pump Relay: 12631742690) which may have had more of an effect. As both relays sit in more or less the same place, I thought it worthwhile to have both done at once.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can u describe how the shifting driving improment I'm interested in changing them also maybe the part numbers and colors of the relays replaced I have a m6 think.of doing the same thing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts