BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty new here and actually thanks to m5board pulled the trigger on a salvaged 2003 BMW M5. Why am I saying thanks to m5board? Well, this car was recently for sale on here and based off pictures and prior history seemed like the owner took care of it. That made me feel more confident the car was at least in good hands prior to the damage it faced only 1k miles down the road, however once I was the highest bidder it was now time to ship the car and play the waiting game. At first glance I kinda chuckled as I acknowledged with my own pair of eyes that this is not a fender bender and smiled wide seeing the Dinan exhaust was still installed on the car. I then removed the busted front end apart to further see the extent of the damage and realized motor is a ok as I removed the drive belt and she fired right up! Now its time to bring her back to life and back on the roads! The goal is to make her look just as good as the pictures seen on here when it was for sale and possibly maybe even better. I will try my best to update you guys with pictures here and videos on my YouTube channel!

Original link from Seller before crash here on m5board:

First YouTube video (4wheelfunbros):

·
Registered
248 Posts
That will buff out!
Hey congrats on the acquisition. Tragic to see it go from where the past owner had it. It looked to be a very clean car.
I hope your findings are not too bad and you can get it back on the road. They are epic cars and I believe worth fixing.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
With how screwed that frame is... better off as parts to keep the live ones on the road. :O

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Umm, I'm afraid this is never gonna drive right. At least I wouldn't trust a car like this at 150mph. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I'd highly recommend you find another shell to put everything into. That car has frame damage and like a few others have stated, it's not safe to rely on that geometry anymore.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
im not expert, but thats just front end damage. you can put that on a frame-pulling jig and more than likely put it back within spec tolerances. beyond that, you just need to replace a lot of front end parts.

look up videos from Samcrac, VTuned, Goonsquad, etc. they get these wrecked cars back within spec and show you the alignment specs afterwards.

its not for everyone, but im just saying....dont give up on what might be a great car!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys!
It definitely sucks to whoever had this car last because the car is in exceptional condition. Just by looking at the car there seems like lots of life left. That’s why even with a damage like this in my opinion I feel like it deserves to be saved! If all goes well, I’m hoping to save some cash with this one compared to getting one with no damage history that way I can either put that cash towards upgrades or maintenance items but we will see how that goes. Anyways, if maybe the last owner, the seller, or anyone that owned this car comes across this thread and has any paperwork left then hit me up!

·
Registered
68 Posts
not sure where you are located or if you started to get body parts and everything but I also bought a m5 of coparts that was a flood vehicle, which ended up having the just the front end flooded like motor and the car has rust in the rear. But if you need front end parts or a whole parts car and I'm in Harrisburg pa

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some goodies came in and boy my wife will be happy to see this since we live in apartments with limited space! Can't wait to install all of this. :D

What you see here is a Behr radiator, Behr condenser, OEM BMW clutch fan, URO fan clutch (yeah, I know I know.. not the best rep but some guys installed with no problems at 4 times less the price of Behr unit), 1 DAYCO 89144 pulley, 2 DAYCO 89052 pullies, and adjusters for left/right headlights. I decided to go with an aftermarket front bumper cover and struggle to get the gaps aligned in the front so stay tuned for that in the future. :ROFLMAO: Other than that everything else that really matters was sourced off a 530i so good quality OEM!

Second YouTube Video (4wheelfunbros):

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Wow I was so close to buying that E39 M5 before it got wrecked! The buyer was a few days quicker than me and local if I remember correctly. Ended up buying my current M5 from Boston.

Good work saving it! Looking forward to seeing your progress.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you bought the car maybe I wouldn’t have it now!

Another update on the rebuild guys. With everything going on in this world things are going much slower than anticipated, but it’s ok just taking things a bit slower. So I got a pair of used headlights for the M5. First pair I picked up I could not simply bake and take apart the lens from the housing because the production date of the headlights fell into the batch of “unbakable” headlights where the sealant used was different compared to headlights that can easily be taken apart. I returned the headlights and found another pair that came apart like butter. Original plan was to replace the lens with the DJ Auto Helix with clear corners version but pretty much every place was on back order. Decided to sand em down and after took them to my painter. They turned out amazing! Also, replaced the headlight adjusters.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After some time the frame is now finally fixed. Right after I sent the car to get a fresh paint of coat on the front end. Gotta admit I’m pretty happy how it came out. Such a good feeling to see the M5 looking like itself again! Still got lots of work to do and bugs to fix but the light is definitely shining bright at the end of the tunnel.

·
4,339 Posts
im not expert, but thats just front end damage. you can put that on a frame-pulling jig and more than likely put it back within spec tolerances. beyond that, you just need to replace a lot of front end parts.

look up videos from Samcrac, VTuned, Goonsquad, etc. they get these wrecked cars back within spec and show you the alignment specs afterwards.

its not for everyone, but im just saying....dont give up on what might be a great car!
E39 definitely needs a bit more finesse than normal to fix the front end. The original frames and panels can be massaged back, but few people actually go 100% back to factory spec.

Any hit that goes beyond the crash bar & radiator cross member, I think it would be easier to simply cut out the front rails and replace parts 41148203421 & 41148203422. From the youtube video uploaded both strut towers are deformed. To repair them someone would have to:
  • knock out the strut top mounts
  • knock/hammer the strut tops flat (unless you have a custom jig+puller)
  • check the chassis measurements
  • install the suspension and check camber & caster
*** if caster & camber are off, the car needs to switch to camber+caster plates or the towers need to be massaged to some new spec to make camber and caster work

1 - 20 of 33 Posts