BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So smoke has re-appeared. I thought it was the valve cover gasket but my garage and I think its the oil return pipe. They say I have to take off the head! Is this the only way to access it?

Paul

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
So smoke has re-appeared. I thought it was the valve cover gasket but my garage and I think its the oil return pipe. They say I have to take off the head! Is this the only way to access it?

Paul
Haha, I wouldn't do that. Put the car on the ramp, remove the catalyst and you can see te oil return line from underneath. Access still is not that straightforward, but with the right set tools (set of 1/4" tools) possible.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Raymond. Your help is greatly appreciated. I have been troubled by this for a long time! I'll try and explain to them next week.

Paul

·
Registered
113 Posts
you can do it from underneath easy enough, without removeing any exhaust components. just make sure the engine and exhaust are cold, a little cursing and its possible. I am a Auto Tech, so somewhat used to this kind of thing, just take your time and dont get frustrated, thats when the skin comes off and the blood starts flowing! Good luck Brian

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you can do it from underneath easy enough, without removeing any exhaust components. just make sure the engine and exhaust are cold, a little cursing and its possible. I am a Auto Tech, so somewhat used to this kind of thing, just take your time and dont get frustrated, thats when the skin comes off and the blood starts flowing! Good luck Brian
Brian,

This challenge has been monumental! Would you believe I just dropped it off yesterday to another garage, the 3rd garage so far! The 2nd garage tried but actually the smoke became worse. They are going to remove the exhaust manifold to access it. Having smoke billowing out is so discouraging.

Paul

·
Registered
113 Posts
Too bad you dont live in Vancouver, I could look after it for you. When I did mine I just replaced the o-ring and gasket, and it was ok. Later Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts