BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

so how do i remove a broken coil?

721 20
in typical diy fashion, a preventative maintenance job on a fully working car turned into broken coils and a not working car.

Drinkware Sleeve Font Gas Barware

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Car

What gives me some comfort the #10 that was broken was already broken when i got to it, it was missing one of the ears that the latch hinges on, so it was a no go. The number 4 one was pretty surprising, since it just ripped clean off, and I left #5 in there because I saw the connector was already cracked.

I've been using a 3/8" extension fed through the opening in the clip to pull them out. Is that not right?

.. And more importantly, now what? How do I get the remnants out? I thought about drilling a hole and getting a long screw in there, but not sure that's such a good idea.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
'22 X5 M50i, '12 E92 M3, '08 E60 M5
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh man, that actually makes me feel good that I’m not the only one, and that you guys got it the way I was thinking of going. Still sucks but at least it’s not (all) my fault.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I twisted mine before pulling them out, but the two near the firewall broke when I tried to twist them. I'm thinking those two get lots of heat during that 35K mile interval.
Yeah same. Both coils by the firewall had cracked ear tabs and twisting doesn’t seem to have helped anything. So. Much. Fun.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not having much luck.. thinking about just pulling the valve covers and spark plug tubes. Is there a diy for that somewhere? Ive done it on an S54 before it’s not a huge deal. Just more trouble than I was signing up for.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hate to sound like a broken record but you need to first break the rubber boot to spark plug seal. Can you try to rotate whatever is left of the coil? Once that seal breaks pulling it out shouldn't be too bad. If not then cover off it is. No DIY that I know of but do you have newtis access?
No, please do — I’m new to the s85 (obviously ) and you’re being very helpful. I’m gonna try again today but I’ve done at least a 360 on them without much luck.

Isn’t newtis shut down because of bmw ag? I have ista so I can just look up the procedure there. Was just looking to avoid another “it’s not in the manual, but you need to do this first” situation.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gotcha - yeah no tips on removing the valve cover other than see what ista/newtis instructions show.
Are there any "while you're in there" tasks that I should tack on if I go this route? The S54 had valve shims you had to do (I know that's not needed here). If I end up pulling the covers, my plan right now is to replace the VCG, the plug tube gaskets, the oil filler tube gasket (mine seems to be leaking), but then that's it.. I'm not really seeing anything else to do there..

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
oh man. two down, one to go. so you were right @flacoramos -- it wasn't fully releasing the plug. i'd rotate about 180* and it would spring back. I'm down to the #10 coil but it's fighting back.

taking a break now, tomorrow i'll need to try disconnecting the fuel tank breather pipe as it's blocking access to the #10 coil...

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well— the last one is out, but I ended up having to pull the cover off. it really did come down to leverage and room to twist. I didn’t even need to pull the spark plug tube (though I’ll be replacing them). With the cover off I got a pair of channel lock pliers on the stub, and pulled while giving it a turn. Popped right out.
On the plus side, I now will have a new vcg on that size and got a great peek at the internals. No varnish, everything looks clean.
On the minus side, a $120 plug change just cost me an extra $500 (3 coils, vcg and plug tubes).
Now hopefully I can put this back together without introducing any other issues 😬

oh and to be clear — while I didn’t know that you needed to twist on these, im not sure it would have helped with the ones by the firewall. Both had cracked connectors and missing ears, either from previous visitors, age, lack of ventilation that far back or all of the above.

Motor vehicle Sleeve Auto part Gas Engineering

Wood Hand tool Paint brush Sleeve Office supplies

1 - 9 of 9 Posts