BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BMW replaces Castrol with Shell as recommended oil supplier

Shell announces that it has been chosen by BMW AG as its only recommended global supplier for aftermarket engine oils for the following BMW brands: BMW, BMW i, BMW M, MINI and BMW Motorrad.

Starting in January 2015, Shell oil will be available to customers at BMW’s network of more than 3,500 dealers, in more than 140 countries, including China, Germany, Russia, South Africa, South Korea, the UK and US.

The collaboration means that Shell will produce and supply BMW’s branded engine oils. These products will meet the latest BMW engine specifications and are underpinned by Shell’s PurePlus Technology. Shell PurePlus Technology is a breakthrough in how engine oils are formulated. It is a patented gas-to-liquid (GTL) process, developed over 40 years of research, which converts natural gas into a crystal-clear base oil.

The base oil is produced at the Pearl GTL plant in Qatar, a partnership between Shell and Qatar Petroleum. From 2015, BMW service customers can benefit from the integration of Shell’s global lubricants supply chain with its gas value chain in Qatar.

Mark Gainsborough, Executive Vice President for Shell Lubricants, said: “We are honoured to become the BMW’s recommended supplier of aftermarket engine oil. We look forward to jointly supplying, distributing and marketing these oils, as of start 2015.”

BMW and Castrol have worked together as strategic partners since 1999, and their collaboration in Motorsport will also end this year.

·
Registered
202 Posts
So when I bought my M and was driving back from San Jose I ran into a guy at a fast food stop along the way. He saw the car and we began talking and found out he worked for Royal Dutch Shell and was retired (former higher up) but still was heavily involved with the company. He mentioned that Shell would be taking over in the future, but I didn't know whether to believe him or not... guess he was telling the truth! hmmm

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
The Shell 10W-60 isn't readily available here in the U.S. from a quick online search I did the other day.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Interesting. TWS used to be needed and now it isn't - maybe it wasn't as good as previously thought :dunno:

Castrol, what happened?!?!?!?!?!?! :eek:

:rofl:

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
No kidding.

Before 1/1/15 Castrol is the right oil
After 12/31/14 Shell is the right oil

Seems like a decision based on engineering considerations.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
so is the Shell oil sold at Walmart OK to use or do we have to buy the Shell oil sold by BMW? I'm refering to those of us who live on the ege and use 5W30 in our cars, the rest of you should still ship your cars to Germany for full maintenance once per year per BMW. the only person that should be servicing these cars has to be a real German.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
What would happen if you put that Shell 10w60 in your LS ?
(Other than blowing your budget for motor oil for the next 5 years?)
We'll never know. That oil doesn't meet the specifications for the engine.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
but it also says this:
So, if you buy BMW 10w-60 you won't know if it's Shell or Castrol. Or maybe half & half. :dunno:

·
Registered
178 Posts
In March 2013 when my car was in a dealership for Inspection II the quoted oil was Shell, but when I asked they had Castrol available as well.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts