BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new to the forum.

I am planning to install snow tire on my M5. It has original 19" on it.

I was wonder could I run 255/40/19 all around?

Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
In terms of actual performance in the snow you need 18 inch tires...check out this from tirerack.com

A Minus Size Tire and Wheel

Minus Sizing is simply traditional Plus Sizing techniques used backwards. For example, a 2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 would store its original 205/55R16 (or optional 225/45HR17) tires in favor of Minus One or Minus Two size 195/65R15 tires on 15" wheels.
In both of these examples, not only would snow traction be enhanced, but the cost of a Base Model or Minus Size winter tire & wheel package is usually lower than a package maintaining your vehicle's original size tires and wheels.

So for us M guys - you go with 255/45-18 all around.

Good luck

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In terms of actual performance in the snow you need 18 inch tires...check out this from tirerack.com

A Minus Size Tire and Wheel

Minus Sizing is simply traditional Plus Sizing techniques used backwards. For example, a 2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 would store its original 205/55R16 (or optional 225/45HR17) tires in favor of Minus One or Minus Two size 195/65R15 tires on 15" wheels.
In both of these examples, not only would snow traction be enhanced, but the cost of a Base Model or Minus Size winter tire & wheel package is usually lower than a package maintaining your vehicle's original size tires and wheels.

So for us M guys - you go with 255/45-18 all around.

Good luck
Do you know 255/45/19 will fit on the stock rear rim?

·
Registered
3 Posts
ran 18's for a couple of years - didn't like the look

now use 255/40 19 on the factory wheels for the last 2

work great - no discernable difference in snow performance from 18's

·
Registered
3 Posts
hmm -sorry to sound like a total moron, just looked at the car- I was correct first time- 255/40-19 Michelin's which I believe I got from tire rack.

Over the years I have had multiple cars driven all year round in snow highway/city and as long as you buy a good brand (which at this size is really all there is) they are all the same.

The M5 is great in the snow.

I do have the 18's in my shed with dunlop snows (about 10000kms) on repro M5 alloys if you are interested , but the 19's do look quite a bit better.

Good luck

BT

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
while tirerack is correct...I run 255/40/19 and this is my 3rd winter on Blizzak LM-22...i have 8 mm of tread left...no problems driving in last weeks 12" snow dump....

so for the majority of us...19's will work just fine

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone have experience with the blizzak lm 22?

By the way this will be the first winter I'll be driving this car.

Any Tips?

·
Registered
83 Posts
while tirerack is correct...I run 255/40/19 and this is my 3rd winter on Blizzak LM-22...i have 8 mm of tread left...no problems driving in last weeks 12" snow dump....

so for the majority of us...19's will work just fine
I may have to upgrade to 19s...as many have said - the 18s sure make the car look...well...plain. UGH!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Anyone have experience with the blizzak lm 22?

By the way this will be the first winter I'll be driving this car.

Any Tips?
I run OEM M6 staggered wheels with Blizzack LM-22 in size 255/40-19 all around based on a recommendation from Tire Rack. They work great, both for cold weather (below 40 degrees F) grip and traction in snow. No complaints at all.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts