BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I must apologise for coming for a country that has no interesting weather at all, but I'd like to ask about the correct use of snow chains.

I've heard that you're supposed to fit them to the driven wheels. However, I can't help but think that stopping and steering is more important than accelerating. Especially given an LSD.

So, to which wheels should I fit my snow chains? :confused2

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Where are you off too?

Snow chains are rarely used, except for mountain areas, but usually you will make it with winter tires. Chains offer superior grip and are with some extent meant for people with very little snow/ice driving experience.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
bayerischemotor said:
Where are you off too?
I'm going to the Highlands of Scotland after Christmas. Snow is of course only a possibility on the more sensible roads.

Thing is, I don't really feel winter tyres are justified, and I've acquired a couple of snow chains. But the question is, on cars such as ours, which wheels should I put these chains on?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Unless the conditions are incredily bad with nothing but inches of slick ice in the way of your destination, chains aren't really much of a requirement. So long as you're taking it easy and not ice racing around corners at something like a perpindicular angle to the direction of travel, then all you'll really need are a good set of skinnyish snow tyres.

But if you say you're not going for snow tyres and instead bought chains, then you're correct in doing so given your apparent one-time use of them.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I don't know for sure, but i don't think it's legal to use snow chains in the uk. And to be honest you should'nt really need them, even in the highlands.

Dyl

1 - 9 of 9 Posts