BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched a bit, however, did not seem to find anything definitive.

I have about 80k miles on the car, do not know much about front end replacements, I know the thrust arm bushing need replacement (I have X5 bushings here at the moment, I realized the arms may need to beplaced as the ball joints may be worn, however, I want to deal with the "required" items first).

So the symptom is when turning hard left, then possibly stepping on the brake, while turning around, I sometimes get a single loud pop or snap in the left front, kind of sounds like it may be up high? I know on the BMW's, sometimes suspension noise travels and the problem is not always where the noise appears to be coming from. My E46 front lower control arm bushings sounded like upper strut mount noise! But luckily I knew the FCAB were big issues, so I inspected them first.

I have not had a chance to get the car up on a lift yet, however, I thought I would see if anyone has run into this issue or has any specific areas i should look at.

Thanks in advance for suggestions, I will try to report back what I find, however, I may be a while due to my schedule and the weather.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
From what I've heard, it's likely the various bushings in the front end that are causing the popping noises. I'd suggest that finances permitting, you go ahead and replace all of that crap down there while you're doing the ball joints. I'll wager that you'll feel the difference and appreciate the replacements all the more.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts