BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find a smooth rubber intake pipe, the one that goes from the airbox to the intake manifold. It looks like the previous owner replaced the stock accordion rubber for a smooth piece, but one side is developing a tear. Everywhere I've looked just has the accordion piece. It also looks like it's slightly bigger on one end so I can't just get a straight piece. Anyone know where to get one? I'd rather not go back to the stock one.

I'm talking about #1 in this diagram:

RealOEM.com Â* BMW E60 M5 MOUNTING PARTS F INTAKE MANIFOLD SYSTEM

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Why not the stock one?

The OEM intakes air boxes are really pretty well designed (not perfect, but not bad).

They do however generate a fair amount of turbulent flow. If the idea is performance over appearance of the OEM tube, I would highly doubt any significant (even measurable) difference in head loss could be attained in comparison to the box itself.

Not pushing Evolve's intake (although I am quite fond if it), but given the minuscule cost increase it would generate in their kit, I feel certain if there was a performance gain to be had from that section, they would have included the silicon tubing vice retaining the OEM.

However, if you're really set on it, perhaps these guys can help.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess it doesn't really matter that much, but I don't like the stock ones because 1) they're annoying to keep clean and 2) look kinda goofy (I like the smooth look much better). Though I'm guessing that the reason it ripped is because there is no flex and with the movement of the engine that eventually ripped the silicone. So maybe it will be better to go back to stock, especially if there isn't any real benefit with the smooth pipe.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Post some pics of yours up I'm curious

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
So more of a cosmetic look?

I am sure a hardware store may have something available to cut down.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'd be careful, they're rigid so are transferring load to other components, such as air box mounts and intake boots. You might want to check for cracks on the 10 runner rubber joints (under the intakes).

Just a thought.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, so just generic 3" silicon/rubber hose is what you're after? Check out eBay
It's actually slightly tapered so a straight 3" wouldn't fit properly. I decided to just go back to the stock ones, I doubt there's much (if any) benefit to the smooth ones and I do wonder about the potential stress that could put on other components (air box or even the intake manifold) since there's no give. Best price I could find was FCPEuro for $14/each plus $5 for shipping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts