BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, well i had some question before about smoke my car made in 3rd and 4th gear.. i supposed it was from remap or smthin.. didnt have any other symptoms so i didnt worry.
But now its worse,at almost each start it spits this smoke and when i throttle it.
Oil consumption is little higher on this summer days since its trigger happy season but nothing much.Weird thing is that fuel consumption is about the same (22L/100km), idle is normal,MIL is off.. only thing is car sometimes choke under hard acceleration but not always. And i find it hard to find out what to look at cause i dont have no other symptoms then this smoke and random choking...
So im thinking.. if its something like leaking injectors or fuel pump it would always choke? im thinking about ignition or sensors...
Im happy with any help from u guys. thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIVITDP95Sw

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
22 l/100 km is terrible gas mileage. My guess is the smoke is from running too rich. Do you know how to get the secret menu on the dash to check if your coolant temp is too low? That's the usual reason for rich running.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My pixels are dead :/ so i guess gauge is not to believe? Ill look for temp over scanner tomorrow .. id like to take few ideas more in case that is not the problem so threw more ideas plx

·
Registered
631 Posts
22 l/100 km is terrible gas mileage. My guess is the smoke is from running too rich. Do you know how to get the secret menu on the dash to check if your coolant temp is too low? That's the usual reason for rich running.
NO. I don't know the secret menu. Link?
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
My pixels are dead :/ so i guess gauge is not to believe? Ill look for temp over scanner tomorrow .. id like to take few ideas more in case that is not the problem so threw more ideas plx
So where is the needle on the gauge when the engine is warmed up?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
12.30 oclock most of time oil tem at 2 needles from middle to left. outside temp was 25-27*c today

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I watched the vid on HD TV hard to see but the smoke has a blueish color to it? The big puff on start-up is one of the indicators of worn valve seals.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well diagnostic says : both mafs fine,all o2 sensors,fuel pressure ok,injectors,temp sensor on 80*c .. it sayed something about secondary air something too low if i remember well.. but he says its for cold start stuff oO
ill go with sparks first and oem flash if it dont work :/

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
That is normal. That is why I asked if the smoke was blue. Guess what the by product is that is produced when the exhaust goes through the cats? The answer is water. Water becomes steam in a hot exhaust but in a cold one it just shoots out. The smoke might just be steam. Have someone hold a plastic bag near the tall pipes to catch some of the vapor then lay it flat and let it cool. If it is water it will turn into droplets, if it is smoke it will dry or be oily.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Spajo, good to see another Hrvat on the board! My family is from Dubrovnik and Korcula. I have some relatives in ZG also.

In regards to your issue, can you smell burning oil when driving? Have you removed the cats? Sounds like it in the youtube clip.

Have a read through this thread linked below, Sailor24 above has posted some good info :

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...lue-smoke-under-specific-test-conditions.html

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello and thanks to reply!
Pozz prijatelju :D!
I can confirm that oil consumption is same .. and no smell of burning oil :/ besides that no milkshake on stick and no oil in expansion tank
Cats are up but no rear mufflers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK so update
After spark plug swap fuel consumption started to drop rapidly in short time from workshop till home (about 4km) dropped for 1l per 100km i expect it will go down more.
Sharper throttle response and i think it accelerates better. Couldn't know does it smoke still cause it was rainy and cold so didn't look for that.
What can u tell from old sparks ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts