BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie, New owner here.
Hello fellow bimmers. I was hoping to see if what i see on the car is normal or not.
I drove around 10 miles this evening, stuck in traffic for an hour, arrived home
and checked the engine oil level. My earlier inspection of the level indicated that
the level stayed the same.

However, i found smoke rising off the dipstick tube. I turned the key off and opened
the oil cap to check for smoke. As expected, the smoke was dying off. I've seen that
this is normal with e60 engines from the forum. But wanted to know if others have
experienced this on e39s.

Note that my engine does burn oil, from initial observation.
Thanks for the help.

01' E39 M5

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Newbie, New owner here.
Hello fellow bimmers. I was hoping to see if what i see on the car is normal or not.
I drove around 10 miles this evening, stuck in traffic for an hour, arrived home
and checked the engine oil level. My earlier inspection of the level indicated that
the level stayed the same.

However, i found smoke rising off the dipstick tube. I turned the key off and opened
the oil cap to check for smoke. As expected, the smoke was dying off. I've seen that
this is normal with e60 engines from the forum. But wanted to know if others have
experienced this on e39s.

Note that my engine does burn oil, from initial observation.
Thanks for the help.

01' E39 M5
Are you sure it is smoke, or could it be steam? did it smell like burnt oil?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure. Looked white/silver. Not grey. But will check again and post tomorrow. Coolant color looks good. No foaming.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I'm not sure. Looked white/silver. Not grey. But will check again and post tomorrow. Coolant color looks good. No foaming.
It is most likely steam. Best case scenario, you got water from condensation and it will boil out in a couple of hot runs. Worst case, you have coolant getting in the oil from a head gasket or a cracked block.

Next opportunity you have with a cold engine, run it for a couple of minutes at relatively high rev to make sure the oil in the pan is well agitated, and turn it off. Check the oil immediately and see if it is transparent or cloudy..

Reactions: seabass23

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's a link of what I saw.
https://youtu.be/2P4vyaYZ4Ys

It smells like oil/gasoline burning. This was after I drove the car until the engine temp and oil temp were in the middle. I also did repeated this on a cold start and waited until the engine was 1/4 the heat gauge and saw nothing. My oil level is low FYI.

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
I saw your post and expected you to get a simple answer. I don't have time to look at your vid. A white grayish smoke right after shut down would be normal most likely on a pre09/2000 M5 that was not broken in with care. I think yours is likely normal but maybe not. You said you turned the key off which would imply it was running. That makes my head spin. You need to read some of the older posts so do some searches. You need to under stand that the crank case vent is totally different on this car, under vacuum always. You need to understand how the separators work.oil. Thousand other things. When this hits the yop again I will watch your vid but do the searches I think by then you will have convinced yourself things are ok.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts