BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the results of the smog test I took yesterday. These results were before I changed the oil and installed a new O2 sensor. Your thoughts?

Overall, the numbers look great. I'm curious about the CO%

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Your lucky you passed. I took mine in last week and it failed. I just replaced the o2 sensors and the spark plugs so hopefully that will do the trick.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From the looks of the test, the car passed with flying colors - and this was with old oil and old O2 sensors. To me, this would appear that everything is working in tip-top order. Wondering what others see in the numbers that I dont...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Now that is a well tuned and proper running S38! Keep flogging it to keep it's piston tops clean.

My numbers last year with my 3.8 in Texas were in low 20s and 30s for HC, .06 CO and NOx was somewhere in the 40s to 50s IIRC

·
10,458 Posts
updating with my smog test data, done today. These are done on a chassis dyno in californa.

15mph rpm 1778 CO2 14.94% / O2 0.01% (no standards, informational only) HC max allowed 105; measured 0ppm; CO Max 0.69%, measured 0.02% ; NO Max 757ppm, measured 0ppm

25mph 1806rpm Similar CO2 and O2
HC max 80, measured 0; CO max .56, measured 0.01%; NO max 696, measured 18ppm

I find it hard to believe that my 160k mile S38 is putting out 0 ppm of HC, 0.01% CO but i'll take the "pass" on the california smog test for my "high emitter" as it is classified in california. :S

·
Registered
595 Posts
I don't understand how we could be considered high polluter. Here's my 3.6 from last June:

He ran the test twice. He thought that one side of my exhaust must have been clogged. Both sides gave the same reading.

·
10,458 Posts
I wondered that myself Greg.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts