BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5 E39 Dinan
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a 02 BMW M5.
I bought it through a dealer that I know well, the car was repoed previously but I got a good price. He told me to take it to smog myself.

It has the Dinan badge on the back.
I called the shop that installed all the Dinan and they said the car had the Cold Air Intake and Dinan Stage 1 and Stage 2 software installed, and more but irrelevant to this subject matter.

I popped the hood and it looks like the Dinan Cold Air Intake was removed by previous owner and stock has been installed.

I tried to get the car smogged, they reset all the codes and then got the following codes from the Smog Machine:
I am getting peak code P0174 and P0171 -- Bank 1 & Bank 2 Running too Lean.

Now could this be because the Dinan Intake was removed and the Dinan Stage 2 software is still installed?

The car also has a Emissions Recall that I need to do before Smogging the car, will this solve the problem?

I bought the car on Monday. All Wednesday the SES light was gone. I was running Gas Station 76 91 octane. I filled up at Chevron late last night, but I am not sure when the SES light came on. Today it has been on all day.

How come the SES light was gone for a whole day?

Guys help me out i really need your thoughts

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Return the car to your buddy the dealer!

Have him smog it, THEN buy it.

I am not sure what the dina software (if it really is still installed) will do without the CAI.

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5 E39 Dinan
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ergh, prolly end up selling it out of state then. I still havent smogged it.

I need to get MAF's, and I haven't had the time to do so.

Not worth the problems definately.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I just bought a 02 BMW M5.
I bought it through a dealer that I know well, the car was repoed previously but I got a good price. He told me to take it to smog myself.

It has the Dinan badge on the back.
I called the shop that installed all the Dinan and they said the car had the Cold Air Intake and Dinan Stage 1 and Stage 2 software installed, and more but irrelevant to this subject matter.

I popped the hood and it looks like the Dinan Cold Air Intake was removed by previous owner and stock has been installed.

I tried to get the car smogged, they reset all the codes and then got the following codes from the Smog Machine:
I am getting peak code P0174 and P0171 -- Bank 1 & Bank 2 Running too Lean.

Now could this be because the Dinan Intake was removed and the Dinan Stage 2 software is still installed?

The car also has a Emissions Recall that I need to do before Smogging the car, will this solve the problem?

I bought the car on Monday. All Wednesday the SES light was gone. I was running Gas Station 76 91 octane. I filled up at Chevron late last night, but I am not sure when the SES light came on. Today it has been on all day.

How come the SES light was gone for a whole day?

Guys help me out i really need your thoughts
I know exactly what you need to do. I had a similar case.

1. Take the car to the dealer and have them do their emission upgrade. (this will clear your computer of any software upgrades you ever had.)

2. Smog the car.

3. Call Dinan and find out under the VIN what was installed on your car.

4. I would recommend purchasing the cold air because you can get the software uploaded for free.
Dinan policy states.. that if you already paid for a software once and for some reason it was removed or lost. Dinan authorized dealer can load it for free. The only thing you would have to pay for is service. Realisticly it takes 4 minutes to load the

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5 E39 Dinan
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I am getting the MAF's replaced. I just have not had time.
Afterwards I am smogging the car.

I went to Sterling BMW and they are Dinan approved, they did the re-call yesterday .
W/ the Re-call they put the stage-2 back Software back in.

So hopefully smog-pass is not far away.

The car has:
Dinan Clutch
Dinan Short-Shift
Dinan Stage 1/2 Software

It also supposed to have:
Dinan Front Strut Braces
Dinan CIA

But the last two have been removed before I bought the car.

I gonna re-install them later, but first I want to make sure everything else is running perfect on the car and I dont have time for it right now.

The car had enough points to get the Dinan badge.
...But not anymore w/ the
CIA. So the badge gotta go or CIA/Exaust/Strut Brace put back in.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I am getting the MAF's replaced. I just have not had time.
Afterwards I am smogging the car.

I went to Sterling BMW and they are Dinan approved, they did the re-call yesterday .
W/ the Re-call they put the stage-2 back Software back in.

So hopefully smog-pass is not far away.

The car has:
Dinan Clutch
Dinan Short-Shift
Dinan Stage 1/2 Software

It also supposed to have:
Dinan Front Strut Braces
Dinan CIA

But the last two have been removed before I bought the car.

I gonna re-install them later, but first I want to make sure everything else is running perfect on the car and I dont have time for it right now.

The car had enough points to get the Dinan badge.
...But not anymore w/ the
CIA. So the badge gotta go or CIA/Exaust/Strut Brace put back in.
Good luck with it... :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Terrabase, I have a 2002 beast that went through a similar sequence as rkhudave described. Since I live in California and not Latvia, I don't know if my experience applies, but here goes (needed emissions upgrade certificate from BMW dealer for registration renewal):

Step 1: Went to BMW dealer for DME update. Made sure I got the receipt that I could mail to the Department of Motor Vehicles. This step over-wrote the Dinan software.

Step 2: Drove the car aggressively for a couple of hours, then got it smogged. It _just_ passed on the Hydrocarbon emitted reading.

Step 3: Went to Dinan and had them reflash the DME (stage 2 for me).

I have a 2002 Dinan Series 1 M5 that I bought two years ago.

I hope that helps. As I mentioned, I don't know the rules in Latvia -- if there are any!

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
TEra needs to update his location... clearly people need to know his state to help with issues such as state smog!

Pretty sure he is in the US, not Latvia...lemme guess... Irvine, CA?

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5 E39 Dinan
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Lativa has no rules, but I live in Irvine, CA. At the time of registering on the board I was in Latvia.

Terrabase, I have a 2002 beast that went through a similar sequence as rkhudave described. Since I live in California and not Latvia, I don't know if my experience applies, but here goes (needed emissions upgrade certificate from BMW dealer for registration renewal):

Step 1: Went to BMW dealer for DME update. Made sure I got the receipt that I could mail to the Department of Motor Vehicles. This step over-wrote the Dinan software.

Step 2: Drove the car aggressively for a couple of hours, then got it smogged. It _just_ passed on the Hydrocarbon emitted reading.

Step 3: Went to Dinan and had them reflash the DME (stage 2 for me).

I have a 2002 Dinan Series 1 M5 that I bought two years ago.

I hope that helps. As I mentioned, I don't know the rules in Latvia -- if there are any!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts