BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in San Jose, California. I have noticed recently that every smog check places started giving old cars hard time.
Before I never had problem with the "no check engine light" issue. But they all started asking for it, and I can't explain to them why this car (euro version) has no such light!

Karl

·
Registered
743 Posts
The check engine light was not necessary in Europe. When something is not necessary Germans don't add it :). You can simply put a bulb in the instrument cluster at the check engine light location. It will work as it should do on US cars. It will turn on with ignition on and turn off once the engine is started and no emission related error codes are present (lambda sensor/control limit). For testing purposes you can swap a bulb from the fog light to the check engine light to see if it works.

Think these bulbs can be found anywhere on the internet. Shouldn't cost more than a dollar.

** now I see you have a 3.8....
The above mentioned, does work for 3.6l engine 100% sure (I tested this). But I am currently in doubt if a3.8l would work as these were not delivered to the US....

·
Registered
616 Posts
Adding a new bulb did not work on my 3.8.. I’ve kept my 3.8 registered out of state for now. Let me know if you find a way as I’m in the same boat you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am in San Jose, California. I have noticed recently that every smog check places started giving old cars hard time.
Before I never had problem with the "no check engine light" issue. But they all started asking for it, and I can't explain to them why this car (euro version) has no such light!

Karl
I have had good luck with Smog Man in San Jose, for tricky smog issues (legal but challenging issues) - maybe worth stopping by there and chatting with them. They go the extra mile to get you passed if you are legal.

·
Registered
483 Posts

Karl
If the imported car didn't have a CEL when it was DOT/EPA certified the car doesn't need one!!
You should have a copy of the DOT and EPA papers form when the car was imported and as long as the car passed the import vehicle emissions requirements you should be good.
You can also go to a CARB referee station to get the CEL exemption. Google search will give you instructions to make an appointment.

·
Registered
24 Posts
did you ever get the car to pass smog? Im in Santa Cruz and know of a place that could probably pass the car for you. They passed my Land Rover with a heavily modded V8 that would never pass anywhere else.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Adding a new bulb did not work on my 3.8.. I’ve kept my 3.8 registered out of state for now. Let me know if you find a way as I’m in the same boat you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did not have time to deal with the issue as I had to go abroad, just came back :)
Yes, cannot remembered correctly 19 years ago when I tried it what happened: either "did not turn on" or "always on".

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had good luck with Smog Man in San Jose, for tricky smog issues (legal but challenging issues) - maybe worth stopping by there and chatting with them. They go the extra mile to get you passed if you are legal.
Thanks, I will gave "Smog Man" in San Jose a try tomorrow. As it is nearby.

Karl

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
did you ever get the car to pass smog? Im in Santa Cruz and know of a place that could probably pass the car for you. They passed my Land Rover with a heavily modded V8 that would never pass anywhere else.
Yes, please give me the name/address of the place. In case the "Smog Man" in San Jose, does not work....

Thanks,
Karl

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to Bokonon,

Took it to Dhillon Motorsports (was called Smog Man) in San Jose, passed smog without asking for "CEL" :)
Their new name is "Dhillon Motorsports":

Karl

1 - 10 of 10 Posts