BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any oine else think that the SMG rive /Gear change is around the wrong way?

Let em explain - The car is a 7 speed manual. So why do you have to shift past "drive" to get it into manual using the selector?

I would have thought the first clcik to be manual and the second one into "Drive"

"women driver mode"

Any way just a thought.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'm glad they did it that way since my wife drives the car everyday. She would have found it to complicated to have it the other way.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
BMW did it that way to get past some US regs on manuals or insurance regs. By starting in Auto mode in gets around some restrictions. I cannot remember exactly what they are but that is what I remember.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
It starts in manual - you then must push it to the right again to get it into drive. Take another look.
Nope all smg start in manual. You start the car in N then click over right and it goes into auto click again for manual. If his car goes from N to Manual at startup then there is something awry.

Maybe the 08's do that but my 06 and 07 both initiate in auto mode.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Cosmos your car probably does start off manual because of your extreme driving skills. It is afraid to go into Auto mode!:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
When I start up in neutral, put it in reverse, back up, stop completely, and then move the shifter to drive I start in manual. However, when I start in neutral and then move the shifter over to drive I start in auto.

·
Registered
285 Posts
no joke, mine ALWAYS starts in manual...I mean ALWAYS...I have to put it into "d" (well shove it) to get it to go into auto...I have an 06 fwiw...

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Nope all smg start in manual. You start the car in N then click over right and it goes into auto click again for manual. If his car goes from N to Manual at startup then there is something awry.

Maybe the 08's do that but my 06 and 07 both initiate in auto mode.
no mine starts in MANUAL

·
Moderator Emeritus
1,791 Posts
Manual always - my car is afraid to ever go into Auto - she knows I'll trade her in and she loves the way I turn her on. Like the kids say, MAD SKILLZ YOOOOOOOO

·
Registered
190 Posts
I used to think it started it "Auto" too. I finally figured out what I was doing. I was pushing it over too hard. If you push it over past the the "spring" resistance it will go directly to Auto. If you just push it far enough to get it out of N then it will be in manual.

So use a little less muscle and you'll find yourself in manual ....

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Mine always goes into manual. Obviously there is a difference on some cars. That is strange - IMO.:confused:

(the thread title along with the OP location had me first wondering if it was a "down under" phenomenon.):hihi:

·
Registered
839 Posts
Both my '06 and '07 start in MANUAL. I have to push to the second detent to get it to go AUTO (which I have never used).

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I used to think it started it "Auto" too. I finally figured out what I was doing. I was pushing it over too hard. If you push it over past the the "spring" resistance it will go directly to Auto. If you just push it far enough to get it out of N then it will be in manual.

So use a little less muscle and you'll find yourself in manual ....
That's the problem with being "6 foot four and full of muscles." (And I don't even live down under) :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNT7uZf7lew

·
Moderator Emeritus
1,791 Posts
Back for going up and forward to go down makes sense to me - feels more natural, especially when sitting in a seat. Perhaps its a flying thing...but it makes sense to me. If you accidentally shift up versus accidentally down shifting it is less likely to get you in trouble, and you're more inclined to pull back on something than push forward.

·
Registered
792 Posts
From "N" I only need to move the shifter once to the right and BAM I'm in manual mode not "women driver mode" (auto).

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Alright after reading all these posts I thought I had brain freeze from this crappy weather. So I went out started the car moved the gear lever to the right and wham bam no thank you man its in Auto mode! Ok so no brain freeze. Why are so many others going into M mode I ask my self.

Then it dawns on me my wife is the primary driver on my M6's insurance policy for better rates.:rolleyes: My car recognizes that thru its advanced intuitive technology and puts me into Drive mode (Dogone female mode):eek:oohhh: instead M mode (Man Mode.):cool2:

Once my record is cleared i will change policy so I can start out in Man Mode once again!:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts