BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i been fixing issues with my car day by day an now im at the SMG problem. i probably will have to take this one in but i rather go in with an idea from you guys and maybe help out the mechanic.

when i drive the car and shift from 1st to 2nd gear, i hear this really disturbing deep clunk metal sound from under (my guess the smg trans). does it 80% of the time. also does the same going from 2nd to 1st. there was a time when i came to a stop and the smg seemed to have go stuck locked in 2nd and the whole car stalled on the road. the cog sign does come up on the idrive warning me about transmission issues. from what ive been reading my guess is either hydraulic pump or clutch. my last scan i got the codes

clutch control code: 004fa0
Evaluation steering angle Code: 520A
Selector Evaluation Code: 5002

3 weeks ago i got the codes:

Fehler: sorry, unknown fault
Code: 4F85
Fehler: :Ribbon under U / hydraulic unit
Code: 4F40
Fehler: :power Ubatt
Code: 5103

any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
start gathering all the parts for a clutch, flywheels and hydro pump replacement. then book your car into the indy shop.

T

·
0 Posts
Have him drain the fluid in the Trans. I sold a new Trans to someone that the syncros failed in first and second. If there is thick metal in the oil maybe that is it

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE: the hydraulic fluid was extremely low, the shifting got a lot better but he said there was still something not right on second gear, he saying i need a new clutch so i made that order.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Make sure you replace the slave cylinder too. If that bad or goes bad later, the whole tranny has to be pulled again.
This 100%! ouich

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Replacing the clutch will not hurt anything for certain, but may not be the actual cure for the 2nd gear shift problem even though it goes away. Start off having the SMG adaptation routine performed to see if it smooths out. Many dealerships have replaced clutches to "cure" such problems and guess what...it works. It works because according to TIS, you run the adaptation process after replacing the clutch.

No telling how many clutches have been replaced prematurely over the years.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i appreciate all the info everyone, this really helps a lot, ill be going tomorrow to see my mechanic to discuss all of this with him tomorrow, thanks again, keep you updated

1 - 10 of 10 Posts