BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Manual or SMG

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard only bad things about the smg transmission in the e60 m5. Which has lead me to get a manual soon, although they are hard to find even in the US. But when I see the smg in use it looks pretty cool and wondered if I could do some things to it (reliability mods) or mods in general to make it more fun and reliable. Now this is probably not the case but seeing since its super hard to find a manual e60 m5, the only choice i would have is the smg.

· Registered
2006 M5 Alpine White
119 Posts
Anyone who has reviewed one on Youtube that doesn't own the car has no idea what they are talking about.
I can't say I was a big fan of the SMG at first being a manual guy at heart. I thought it was gimmicky and very clunky. After putting almost 8k miles on it, learning it's quirks, and dialing in the shift settings to suite my driving style, I've got to say that my opinion of it has completely changed. I honestly enjoy it a lot!

· Registered
267 Posts
The amount of self proclaimed expert 6 speed drivers that parrot "SMG SuX bRo" and claim SMG is clunky is rather comical. How can you possibly drive a stick well and also suck at SMG? Am I the only one that sees the irony in that? smh
Go drive it yourself somewhere safe, S6, P500 Sport, foot to floor through the gears and some canyon carving if you are able. Let us know if you have anything bad to say about SMG after that.

· Administrator
4,289 Posts
On a more serious note tho, don't confuse us/me for a fanboy. As much as I like the smg we all know it's got its quirks. It's just OPs question is something that has been addressed many times in this forum so no point beating a death horse. Grab a coffee and read this forum for a couple days.

Something that seems new to me is the premium that a 6mt commands these days. Seems to be in the order of $20k or more. Crazy money IMO. I know someone who's swapped four cars as a hobby and makes good money on them.

· Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST5
7,442 Posts
Nothing wrong with a SMG “if”maintained. For that matter, nothing wrong with the s85 “if” maintained. Find the e60 with the best maintenance history, regardless of miles, SMG/6MT, pre-LCI/LCI.

I went with a six speed 12 years ago, because I never wanted a transmission fault — Red Cog of Death (RCOD).

Yes the SMG shifts quicker. It will make the CAR quicker, but will not make YOU faster. Spend any time on a race track, and you’ll quickly find time, not from “shift speeds”, but in braking zones. “Hey buddy, you could improve your lap times by shifting faster,” said no coach ever.

· Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST5
7,442 Posts
Something that seems new to me is the premium that a 6mt commands these days. Seems to be in the order of $20k or more.
So you’re saying my 6MT is worth at least $20,000! Woo Hoo!!

6MTs seem to be following the spread between 3 pedals and 2 paddles in the Ferrari and VAG markets.

· Registered
1,579 Posts
Nothing wrong with a SMG “if”maintained. For that matter, nothing wrong with the s85 “if” maintained. Find the e60 with the best maintenance history, regardless of miles, SMG/6MT, pre-LCI/LCI.

I went with a six speed 12 years ago, because I never wanted a transmission fault — Red Cog of Death (RCOD).

Yes the SMG shifts quicker. It will make the CAR quicker, but will not make YOU faster. Spend any time on a race track, and you’ll quickly find time, not from “shift speeds”, but in braking zones. “Hey buddy, you could improve your lap times by shifting faster,” said no coach ever.
6MT's aint no slouch either from the dig and shifting if you wanna go that route. Ultimately it depends on the NUT behind the wheel 😆. But man do I feel bad for the next owner of this E60 (pretty sure I posted this before) - the driver really knows how to shift and launch fast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts