BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2006 White M5 Full loaded with every option! Love the car BUT I have been having some problems with my transmission over the last year and the dealership never seems to deal with it properly!! What I would like to do is describe my issues to see if anyone else out there has had this problem or knows what they could suggest I do?

Case:

There are lots of different times where my transmission makes strange noise

1) When I am waiting to drive at a stop light and im in 1st gear, sometimes when I push the gas down it goes CLUNK really loud!!

2) Other times when I am driving along and am changing through the gears I get a CLUNK noise between gears!!

Lastly I have had the RED Transmission Failure light come on a few times and when I took it into BMW they replaced the swing arm but it did nothing

Anyways love the car just cant stand the CLUNK noise and would love some comments from anyone who has experienced it!

Thanks

·
Registered
792 Posts
Hey another Canadian.....Welcome!

I have had the same problems that you have described with the exception of the "RED Transmission Failure". I have been told that these noises (clunks) are normal for this car all be it unwelcome by most.

I may be way off base here but I have just chalked the "clunks" up to a heavy duty transmission that engages to hard sometimes:dunno:

:cheers:

I own a 2006 White M5 Full loaded with every option! Love the car BUT I have been having some problems with my transmission over the last year and the dealership never seems to deal with it properly!! What I would like to do is describe my issues to see if anyone else out there has had this problem or knows what they could suggest I do?

Case:

There are lots of different times where my transmission makes strange noise

1) When I am waiting to drive at a stop light and im in 1st gear, sometimes when I push the gas down it goes CLUNK really loud!!

2) Other times when I am driving along and am changing through the gears I get a CLUNK noise between gears!!

Lastly I have had the RED Transmission Failure light come on a few times and when I took it into BMW they replaced the swing arm but it did nothing

Anyways love the car just cant stand the CLUNK noise and would love some comments from anyone who has experienced it!

Thanks

·
Registered
831 Posts
No clunk here, doesn't sound right to me...

·
Registered
378 Posts
Have you reset the tranny? and I had them from time to time. Just got it back from VANOs hell (2 1/2 weeks) and it seems to be gone, go figure.

Reactions: BD 997

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your responses! I did not try the Search feature as i am new to this board.

My car is in for service right now so I hope they review everything! Did you have to tell them to reset your tranny?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
use the search feature eh... Btw good choice on alpine white!

·
Registered
792 Posts
For the record I have reset the tranny as per the posts here but I still have the clunk from time to time.

I have asked this before but how would you know if the tranny actually had rest itself? Should something happen to indicated that it has been done?

+1 Search Transmission reset........sounds like your problem. :1zhelp:

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
For the record I have reset the tranny as per the posts here but I still have the clunk from time to time.

I have asked this before but how would you know if the tranny actually had rest itself? Should something happen to indicated that it has been done?
40-60mph put the m in neutral and hold both paddles for 3 seconds then put the car into drive and it should find it's correct gear.

that's all that happens..

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Clunk, clunk, clunk......happens, happens, happens...........it is considered to be an M5...............
. Welcome to the M5 board, and King "daddy" Gustav...........he has set up a feature called "search"....DO IT !!!!!

Reactions: BD 997 and elmar

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I'm pretty sure the startup clunk is due to a sticky clutch throw-out. It sticks open for a few miliseconds too long while the engine revs up, and then unsticks/releases which causes the instant drivetrain load and clunk. Sticky clutches are not confined to the SMG; they are common in manuals. As humans we feel it and deal with it better.

However, this is easily circumvented with the SMG by preloading the clutch with a tiny bit of throttle - not enough to make the car go - but that is just enough to start a tiny bit of clutch let-out. Doing this will eliminate the clunk and provide a smooth startup. I do this when waiting at a light for a long time - where the stickiness is most likely to kick in - by giving the slightest press of throttle right before the light turns green. Do this and you too can have a clunk-free life.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for all of your comments! The car is still in the shop and will try some of these suggestions if it is still necessary.

Also to all of you that just said " USE THE SEARCH BUTTON" as your response!! Thanks for the help

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions!! I am very happy to say that I got the car back from the dealer and the CLUNK noise is gone! I told them to reset the Transmission and it worked

·
Registered
792 Posts
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions!! I am very happy to say that I got the car back from the dealer and the CLUNK noise is gone! I told them to reset the Transmission and it worked
I'm glad to here that you got your baby back and so far you are happy with the outcome.

Other then resting the tranny what else did the dealer do to fix the issue?

cherrsagai

·
Registered
994 Posts
How does the dealer reset the tranny? Is it just the same as when we hold the paddles in N when cruising?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Actually all they did was reset the Tranny! They did all of my oil change and lub replacement and reset upon my request. Bottom line is the tranny is running smooooothhhhh!!!

Love it and thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts