BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2007 E63 M6 with 65,900 miles.

Installed BPM Sport Stage I tune and Euro SMG software. Went out for a ride and after about 20 miles on P400, switched to P500S and wanted to push it a bit.

3rd gear, went WOT to near redline (raised to 8600 RPM by tune), shifted and... Transmission malfunction & red cog of death icon.

Took it easy (pretty much coasted) for the next few miles, exited the highway (error had cleared on its own by then). About 7 miles later on surface roads, another tranny malfunction error with RCoD icon appeared. Car would not shift without applying more throttle than usual and shifted very hard after a few seconds. Stopped and shut car off.

Restarted and error remained. Limped home in clunk-shifting fashion. Shortly before arriving, the tranny error was replaced by reduced power mode, shifting was back to "normal." Pulled in garage and then ran diagnostic with BPM Sport flash utility. No DTCs.

Did some research in here and also texted with BPM Sport tech support for awhile. Decided to revert to stock tune and U.S. (stock) SMG program to see if tranny errors abate. SMG pump does prime/run for 7 seconds when opening car door.

Tranny malfunction & RCoD icon are now persistent every time the car is powered on (engine running or not). Tried moving car slightly in reverse and 1st. Gears will not engage unless more throttle than normal is applied. If too much throttle is applied, car tries to lurch. Shut it down and did more research. Bookmarked several threads with the most useful info (for part numbers, etc.).

Taking it to the local indy shop on Monday. There goes my holiday trip.

Since there are no DTCs, thinking it might be a sensor or the clutch release bearing.

Anyone have advice or thoughts on likeliest root cause?

Not enough posts to PM, so please reply here.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Not sure if the BPM cable reads all the modules or just the DME. I believe he uses the Frieling SPI III iFlash cable, so it may not be able to see all the modules.

I feel certain though that the SMG went into fail safe mode that a code was stored in the SMG module. Have the Indy read the codes and post here. Please include the alphanumeric code and not just their recommendation/interpretation.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the car towed to an transmission shop to get initial diagnostics done today. Here are the codes from the SMG control unit:

4FA0 - clutch activation position deviation
5002 - selector lever
510D - PLCD sensor, clutch position
510E - PLCD sensor, clutch position redundant
CF0B (no description)
CF26 (no description)
CF27 (no description)
CF28 - SMG, no message from M drive
CF29 (no description)

The transmission shop thinks it may be a wiring issue but would not investigate further and recommended that it be taken to a dealer.

Car is getting towed to a local indy BMW shop tomorrow for further diagnostics.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Indy shop says clutch is toast. SMG relay, sensors and SMG pump still good, no word yet on the clutch release bearing.

$1800 to fix including labor.

Should I go ahead and get the SMG relay replaced anyway?

·
2,149 Posts
Indy shop says clutch is toast. SMG relay, sensors and SMG pump still good, no word yet on the clutch release bearing.

Are they replacing the clutch and fly wheel? Or anything else? Change the throwout bearing and components regardless if bad or good since your changing the clutch, you dont have to mix old and new parts, and dont wanna drop the tranny again anytime soon.

the relay is chpea and easy to replace so that isnt a big deal..

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Make sure you replace the slave cylinder and all parts in the bell housing. It's one of those parts that's relatively cheap and and it's not if but when it fails you'll have to pull the transmission again. The extra 300.00 is good insurance IMO.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Make sure you replace the slave cylinder and all parts in the bell housing. It's one of those parts that's relatively cheap and and it's not if but when it fails you'll have to pull the transmission again. The extra 300.00 is good insurance IMO.
Thanks, I will ask about the slave cylinder, plugs/seals, etc. I believe their kit comes with a throwout bearing. Anything else?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
510D and 510E are a bad PLCD. Nothing else can cause those. If they have not dropped the transmission yet, don't let them. Change the PLCD, about $300 for parts and see if that fixes the problem. Else, you'll be paying to replace it after spending all that other money. The 4FA0 is a result of the loss of signal from the PLCD. "clutch position deviation" is code for "I have no idea where the clutch is" from the SMG module. The wiring harness included with the PLCD also carries the temp and pressure sensor wires. Inspect both connectors for pushed back pins, that's not uncommon, especially on the round barrel connector.

Edit: Oh, and the transmission does *not* get removed to replace the PLCD.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts