BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello M5 Family: This is my first time signing-up with an internet message board and therefore my first time asking a question. Anyway,
I have a 2006 M5 with the SMG transmission and after driving the car a while, after the car is fully warmed-up; when casually
accelerating away from a stop light in first gear the car bucks and studders badly. It only happens accelerating in first gear. However,
if I accelerate more aggresively the problem doesn't show itself. Does anybody have any idea what might be the cause? How might it be corrected? Thanks M5 Family.

Agency Power Headers
Magnaflow Cat Back
AFE Stage II Cold Air Intake
Evosport Power Pulley
Power-Chip Tune
Dinan Stage II Suspension

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IMYCOOL: The car didn't always behave this way, besides, I don't know that 2nd gear can be engaged with the SMG from a dead stop.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Mine does that too

IMYCOOL: The car didn't always behave this way, besides, I don't know that 2nd gear can be engaged with the SMG from a dead stop.
If i don't give it a lot of gas it will hickup as if it is not convinced that you want to go.

·
Banned
194 Posts
shudder problem can be caused by a dirty MAF. clean them and see if that helps. Also make sure that you filter is not heavily oiled,if its stock you will not have that problem. You might also have a leak somewhere in the intake section but there are alot of things it can be. try the MAF cleaner first.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
But, like the OP is saying, this only happens at part throttle at take-off

shudder problem can be caused by a dirty MAF. clean them and see if that helps. Also make sure that you filter is not heavily oiled,if its stock you will not have that problem. You might also have a leak somewhere in the intake section but there are alot of things it can be. try the MAF cleaner first.
Same with my car. I just blame it on nothing mechanical but bad/presumptuous programming on the part of the germans. In my case, I am trying to modulate the take off speed with the gas pedal and I bet I am confusing the snot out of the ECU. It's trying to be too smart for its own good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you "GNIRUOT" for offering direction. As soon as the weather cooperates I plan to deliver the car to my mechanic to install, among other things, a new 3.91 differential. At that time, i'll have him to execute your suggestions. Thanks.:M5launch:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts