BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at Pentosin FFL-4 as it's the new replacement for MTL-2, Redline MTL based on threads here, but redline's own website doesn't show or recommends it when you search with your make/model. They recommend D4-ATF.

Now I'm more confused, I'm sure all three are compatible except maybe the MTL which REDLINE themself don't seem to recommend but contradicts the forums.

What do you all recommend?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You used MTF2, isn't the OEM Fluid MTF2? So you didn't like the oem fluid and saw a notable different when you switched to Redline MTL?

·
1,977 Posts
You used MTF2, isn't the OEM Fluid MTF2? So you didn't like the oem fluid and saw a notable different when you switched to Redline MTL?
Correct. See:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Redline got back to me rather quickly. I just asked why their website doesn’t show MTL as a recommended trans fluid for the smg and their response was:

Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, in your SMG transmission the MTF-LT-2 fluid is called for, the D4ATF is our recommended replacement for that original fluid. Some are using the MTL in the late model BMW manual transmissions though the higher viscosity so could be stiffer shifting at lower temperatures with synchros designed for an ATF. In the SMG transmission using a higher viscosity fluid than original wouldn’t be recommended as it could impact the transmission’s performance and shift characteristics.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm running MTL right now. Changed it about 5-8k ago? Seems like it's working fine.

·
Registered
254 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m just going to use FFL-4.
Did the fluid today,used about 2.75 qts of Pentosin FFL-4

Shifts the same maybe better but no negative downsides which was what I was looking for.

Also did the SMG hydraulic fluid with CH11S. Just siphoned it out of the reservoir but the most I could get was 150ml as the tube wouldn’t go in further into the reservoir.

Also the old fluid it wasn’t that bad, still green and clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
254 Posts
Did the fluid today,used about 2.75 qts of Pentosin FFL-4

Shifts the same maybe better but no negative downsides which was what I was looking for.

Also did the SMG hydraulic fluid with CH11S. Just siphoned it out of the reservoir but the most I could get was 150ml as the tube wouldn’t go in further into the reservoir.

Also the old fluid it wasn’t that bad, still green and clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Did you bleed the pump after?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The SMG Pump? No didn't prime anything after.

Never ran the pump while the fluid was out, it was just the reservoir that I extracted.

·
1,977 Posts
Sounds like you didn't depressurize the system prior to sucking out the fluid. Depressurizing returns fluid from accumulator to reservoir. Whole system takes about a can (going from memory here) so 150ml is not much.

There are other methods like loosening the hyd block bottom bolt. Requires access to ista to control the pump and bleed afterwards tho. It's been documented before so do a search if you're interested.

·
1,977 Posts
Here's the unofficial SMG flush procedure, added to the DIY sticky.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts