BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I’m sure that this question was brought up before but I was just wondering if starting from a stop in 2nd gear is better for the clutch. It definitely feels more comfortable almost like it’s little easier on the car but not sure if it’s recommended. I will truly appreciate any input..

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
It’s good to do that when you need to get going and engine is cold, so it doesn’t rev the engine too high. I call it gramma mode.

·
Registered
994 Posts
You can...not sure if it has any effect on clutch wear though.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Euro SMG flash starts you at second...there probably is a good reason why one of which was mentioned in an earlier post probably.

Just an observation though, if your clutch is wearing out - as is with mine- you can definitely start feeling it catch slower (or slight skipping) if starting at second.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
It’s good to do that when you need to get going and engine is cold, so it doesn’t rev the engine too high. I call it gramma mode.
Quite the opposite. When cold you want extra revs to have oil flow and to prevent laboring the engine. The euro smg starts in 1st when cold and only when warm starts taking off in 2nd.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Just an observation though, if your clutch is wearing out - as is with mine- you can definitely start feeling it catch slower (or slight skipping) if starting at second.
I have this slipping/skipping feeling when taking off hard in 2nd and had my clutch and fw replaced for this. Also did slave and everything else while in there. The TO bearing had serious galling but everything else looked fine. After all was said and done... No change in how it feels.

I have incrementally changed engine and trans mounts, solenoid orings, pump, accumulator, etc. Everything has been marginal improvement but still not perfect. I think this is just the nature of the smg.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Euro SMG flash starts you at second...there probably is a good reason why one of which was mentioned in an earlier post probably.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
I also have the euro flash and like you said, the car always starts in second with the shift logic setting in 1. What I do is increase the shift logic setting to 2 and it automatically shifts to 1st. I just don’t like how the SMG feels getting off in second, specially with the clutch and engine cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts