BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my 09 M6 performed totally normally, when I went to start the car after sitting overnight (in N) I got the red cog SMG Malfunction. Initially it threw only one fault code 4FA0 and then after running some diagnostics my indy said 4F64 also come up. The pump is audibly coming on and the pressure is good. My indy mentioned that the computer also doesn't seem to be registering if the clutch is in or not. Any ideas?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could bad pump relays cause this? Might it be worth replacing those before going inside the transmission?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I’m unsure. It doesn’t hurt. Hopefully someone else could chime in. I got the 4FA0 code one “cold” morning and after just quickly getting into the car and trying to move it out my driveway. Searched around and found occasionally if I did that it would happen. Haven’t had it come back since. I plan on changing it soon down there road as my mechanic just advised I should. I only have 65k miles

2010 E60 M5 • Space Grey

·
Registered
499 Posts
The relay is easy and the replacement is rated for more current. After that you could put on a power supply and run a clutch bleed test, it really works the system over.
I have been getting into the nitty gritty on my SMG. I will be doing sensors, relays and accumulator shortly and reporting back with and changes. The short story is when the oil gets hot with all of the old seals the system has trouble keeping the pressure up. If you have the Euro SMG tune it will make matters worse. I was having faults all the time and removed the Euro tune and have only had faults on hot days at the track after 20 minutes of driving.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts