BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the SMG pump supposed to frequently make that high pitched sound (the sound it makes when you first open the driver's door) while the car is running? Like if I'm in a line of cars in traffic, or at a drive through, and I have my windows down, I can hear that high pitched noise once every couple of minutes. It will make the noise for around 3 seconds, stop, and then a minute or two later it will do it again. That seems strange to me... or is it normal?

·
Registered
126 Posts
how long have you owned car? Sounds like possible leakage in pressure system of smg. If the noise is indeed pump cycling on (line,fitting,hose,cylinder,pump,etc ,leaking) You might want to have checked at qualified shop. I believe at certain pressure a fault code will set. You may be in tune with car enough that you are catching it before if becomes problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Reactions: FStop7

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
hey...

this topic was just discussed.

its normal...they all do it.

check this thread, theres a video in it with the sound too.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...6board-com/168234-question-out-curiosity.html
Hey, did you decide to keep your car?

I know the pump makes that sound when you first open the door, but I was noticing it is making the same sound once every few minutes when the car is idling, like if I'm in a line of cars or heavy stop and go traffic. I had an E46 M3 that was SMG and I don't remember the pump cycling more than once.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Hey, did you decide to keep your car?

I know the pump makes that sound when you first open the door, but I was noticing it is making the same sound once every few minutes when the car is idling, like if I'm in a line of cars or heavy stop and go traffic. I had an E46 M3 that was SMG and I don't remember the pump cycling more than once.

Yesir...its away for the winter months, but keeping it for now. We'll see what happens in the spring.

And yes, mine does the same thing when idling, nothing to worry about at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts