BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
This is why we sell the entire unit as a whole. Otherwise you don't know what is failing. There are too many sensors on this transmission and the only person to understand it fully lives in Maine. There are even less M5 in Maine as there are in Michigan.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

T

·
0 Posts
would like to order one, left you a message
I do not see a message on my phone regarding an SMG pump. Feel free to call my cell. 616-304-3678.

We sold one yesterday to a member in Atlanta, but we still have one left.

best,

Troy

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I do not see a message on my phone regarding an SMG pump. Feel free to call my cell. 616-304-3678.

We sold one yesterday to a member in Atlanta, but we still have one left.

best,

Troy

just left another message... 5o3-3o9-2668

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
I got my whole unit from Troy as the dealership was charging 3x as much.

I was also going to go with just the pump but after what others had said on here I went ahead and changed the whole unit.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Had the same issue and I thought it was the clutch but after I pulled the codes 4F40,4F43, 4F42. It looks like I need to replace the SMG unit...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ok, what is the difference between the SMG unit, SMG motor and the SMG pump. I just ordered a SMG pump from Troy.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
SMG unit comes with the hydraulics also and not just the pump.

Reactions: sjsuM5

·
Registered
564 Posts
Well got the Red Cog this week, car wont restart wont shift out of N. Codes are 4f42 and 4f43 hydrolic control unit pressure, value above threshold. Towed car to dealer they cant even get the starter cranked over. They say needs all new SMG Hydraulic unit.

Does anyone have any experience with these guys 2003-09 BMW M5, M6 SMG Pump 21542282998 ?

Looking for a new assembly guys! :byee55amg
What software are you using to scan codes? TIS , DIS, INPA ?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I just went through this and fixed my car. Had the same codes, all you have to do is add SMG fluid and then use a program such as Impa to bleed it. Did this with mine and fired right back up. Has never felt better. For reference I have 58k on mine.

Happy to help feel free to PM me. First thing is get it away and far from the BMW dealer.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I just went through this and fixed my car. Had the same codes, all you have to do is add SMG fluid and then use a program such as Impa to bleed it. Did this with mine and fired right back up. Has never felt better. For reference I have 58k on mine.

Happy to help feel free to PM me. First thing is get it away and far from the BMW dealer.
That only works if the motor was not fried, I got the same codes but it was too late as the SMG motor was fried.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm having this issue, and I'm looking to replace the SMG Pump..I'm getting the red cog failure icon..Am I on the right track here?

Or is it best to replace the unit? What's the difference between the pump, motor, and unit?

Also Troy - Are you still selling these parts, I tried to call your number and its not working.

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
The dealer did mine, so I would have to get them from my service advisor. But he did mention I do need the hydraulic pump unit seeing that I cannot shift, the car wouldn't start.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Dealers will always try and sell you the whole unit as it makes it easier for them to not try and diagnose if it's just the pump. Time wise for a shop they do not want to have to go in there twice.

Reactions: 5soko

·
Registered
14 Posts
So I have the codes that you guys requested. As follows.

Fault Code: 004F40, 004FA0, 005101

Thoughts?

21 - 40 of 63 Posts