BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well got the Red Cog this week, car wont restart wont shift out of N. Codes are 4f42 and 4f43 hydrolic control unit pressure, value above threshold. Towed car to dealer they cant even get the starter cranked over. They say needs all new SMG Hydraulic unit.

Does anyone have any experience with these guys 2003-09 BMW M5, M6 SMG Pump 21542282998 ?

Looking for a new assembly guys! :byee55amg

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Labor wise from what i gather its much longer to do just the pump? The whole assembly comes out in about 2 hours but if you want to replace the pump and use same assembly its longer? Or is this info wrong?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bmw/indy shops all say replace the whole assembly because i am guessing they dont want to take any chances... i will push my Indy to just do the motor.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
To pull the entire pump the transmission has to come out. To replace the motor, it does not. Idiot check is the best way, hook 12v straight to the pump motor and see if it runs. If it does, spend $15 and replace your SMG relay, then you're all done.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Been there and my pump was gone. Was going to just change the pump but with 100k miles on the system I changed the whole unit. Got a great used one from Troy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Troy what are you selling complete smg pump units for? Can you PM me (i cant PM you for some reason) thanks

T

·
0 Posts
Hey Troy what are you selling complete smg pump units for? Can you PM me (i cant PM you for some reason) thanks

We sell them for $1,350-shipped.

Over 75-shipped in the past 18-months and zero failures. My cell is 616-304-3678 if you have any questions.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just went through this. Ended up just replacing the entire unit. Cost me $4055, plus shop supply and tax. I say replace it at the dealer If you have the means. Mine came with a 2 year, unlimited miles warranty through the dealership.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: had a shop just do the pump! All is well (for now). Troys price on whole unit is the best for future reference

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JC, cant send PM's !

the shop kept it... its PacificMotosports in Portland OR you can give them a call and see if they are willing to ship it to you ?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update: Car still throws a code and goes into "Transmission Fault" Yellow cog mode. Wont go into gears when driven aggresive. Wont restart until it cools down or i unplug the battery. If driven regularly no problems. Back to the shop it goes.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Did they just replace the pump and not the whole hydro unit? If they only replaced the pump, you might have a problem with the slave cylinder or pcld sensor.

I had problems with the smg and to me, it only made sense to replace the whole hydro unit with a brand new one (a old unit is a ticking time bomb as well) while we had the tranny out. Didn't want to guess what is wrong and having to do it more than once.

I paid 2900 for a brand new hydro unit from BMW.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
they only changed the pump and nothing else... they did say it took them a while to bleed the system

1 - 20 of 63 Posts