BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so I decided to do a quick DIY to replace the SMG Relays. There are two of them. One of them Salmon colored, the other black.

Here are the Part numbers for both relays:
SMG Pump relay: 61366901469 ($10.94)
Transmission Oil Pump Relay: 12631742690 ($6.94)

You can get them from GetBMWParts.com (best prices online) and most dealers stock them.

You will need:
#5 Allen Wrench or Driver
Torx 20 Screwdriver
13MM Driver or Socket/Ratchet (a 13mm wrench will not work, its too tight around the plastic nuts)

1. Open Your hood and locate the passenger side cabin air filter

2. Undo the Plastic 13mm nut by turning it 90 degrees and pull the cabin air filter up and out of the way

3. Remove the drip/water tray to the left near the fender

4. Undo the Torx bolt right below where the cabin filter is:

5. Turn the 3 13mm nuts in the passenger tray 90 degrees clockwise

6. Remove the rubber moulding and set it out of the way, The tray is made out of two pieces, unlock the two pieces by sliding the piece in the center of the tray to the right, and undo the 13mm plastic nut underneath 90 degrees clockwise

7. Remove the tray and place it out of the way, on the left side you will have a Electronics cover. Remove the 5 #5 Allen head screws, and turn the locking tab in the back of the cover and slide it to the left to unlock. Pull up and expose!

8. Locate relays in the back of the ECU compartment. There is only one black one, and one salmon one. Use Pliers to pull up on the top, paying attention to the position of the relay and replace with the new relays.

Follow instructions backwards to put everything back in place and then you no longer have to worry about a relay leaving you stranded!

·
Registered
755 Posts
thanks for writeup. Added to DIY master.

Any chance you can upload the pics directly to this site (rather than linking from postimage), so they are not lost if that site goes down.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Preventative maintenance. I did have the red cog randomly flash a couple of times but from pulling codes its because os 5101 "SMG too sensitive" according to a bulletin.

Yes, I can post them on this server, but how do you want that done? Just upload via attachments? or do you guys have a uploader specific to this?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Preventative maintenance. I did have the red cog randomly flash a couple of times but from pulling codes its because os 5101 "SMG too sensitive" according to a bulletin.

Yes, I can post them on this server, but how do you want that done? Just upload via attachments? or do you guys have a uploader specific to this?
Upload via attachments.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I always upload directly to the site using attachments. The order of pictures sometimes get shuffled, which can make DIY threads a little confusing -- so split the DIY into several posts with only a few attachments each.

For DIY threads I generally scale to down to 600 or 1000 pixels wide and reduce quality.
For threads where quality is important, upload full resolution (the site will display large thumbnails).

·
Registered
422 Posts

i dont see why changing relays would fix the issue you mentioned, relays either work or don't work, when they are dead they either wont "click" to close or "stick" in the closed position, whats your train of thought on this issue?

from what i read on the other forums all you need is an smg program update and re-adaptation and you're done

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
For 10.00 why not? There have been many posts where the relay burned up and car had to be flatbedded. I just replaced the glow plug relay on my diesel because it starts to drop voltage across the relay (2V) contacts over time. The contacts get burned with use. Whats that doing to the harder to replace smg motor? You might get 100k out of it. To me, cheap PM insurance.

Found a pic:

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
This is way to cheap and easy to ignore.....it's a simple step that may save you a headache.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
I replied on your other thread, I completely forgot to mention the relay there yesterday.

But, if the relay is failing, it can happen several ways:
- Poor coil strength: not pulling contact tightly together, high resistance
- oxidization on contacts: high resistance
- arc-pitting on contacts: high resistance

Any of the above causes for high resistance over the contacts will cause more voltage to be dropped across them and less voltage available to the SMG pump motor. This can cause less motor torque and lower pressure output causing the pump to take too long to pressurize the accumulator or not even fully reaching the pressure setpoint to turn it off.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I am replacing mine today just for fun. I have 87000 miles and I figure for as cheap as the relay is I would just replace it as preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
SMG relay is the black one closest to the firewall. When you pull it out note the orientation of the relay tabs so you can align the new one the same way. It's hard to see down there. The salmon colored one is the transmission oil cooler pump relay.

·
2,132 Posts
SMG relay is the black one closest to the firewall. When you pull it out note the orientation of the relay tabs so you can align the new one the same way. It's hard to see down there. The salmon colored one is the transmission oil cooler pump relay.
Thanks for the advice.

Also, why change the tranny oil relay? Is that known to go bad aswell?

Or just changing it for the heck of it since your in there?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Just changed both of mine. Took a whole 10 minutes, but I sure feel better.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts