BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
Random thread but I've got a chance to buy the SMG pump Motor, brand new for about $100 usd less than RRP - a garage near me bough ti but customer has decided to sell the car so the motor is up for grabs.

Is it worth me buying this part for future in your view? I mean, do these pumps/motors often fail or am I just wasting money?

·
Registered
53 Posts
What are your reasons if you don't mind me asking? Have you needed to replace yours too?
Price itself is a good enough reason to go ahead and buy it. They tend to fail as well, at about 100-120k miles ish. I would buy it right away if I were you. Good luck on your final decision.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have not replaced mine yet but if I could a get a new one for $100.00 I'd be all over it. They all eventually fail or get week. I have 105,000 miles on mine and I plan to change mine just as a precaution and to not get stuck or screw up anything else

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Its 100 less than retail so yah! I guess with a number of otjer non car related outgoings I was wondering if its worth me getting this now based on me doing about 3-5k miles a year if that. Its currently on 74k miles as well.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thanks guys. Its 100 less than retail so yah! I guess with a number of otjer non car related outgoings I was wondering if its worth me getting this now based on me doing about 3-5k miles a year if that. Its currently on 74k miles as well.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
So as others have said, it's not if, but when it will break, so eventually you'll need it, and they are backordered a lot of times as well, but it's still a decent amount of money that will be tied up in a part. I guess it depends how long you're planning on keeping the car. If it's forever, then it's probably a good deal to buy and hold the pump motor, but if you're not sure, then probably just buy it when you need it. My $0.02 lol

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts