BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i have on 06' SMG. sounds like my SMG pump has failed from what i read on many threads. Now, my cars last digits of the vin is B582267. I dont have an extended warranty, the car has 42k miles. Will the dealer still honor the recall if there is any. I tried putting the vin into a generic vehicle recall website and nothing came up. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Do a search on here about recalls, in one it will give build dates and vin number ranges for the SMG recall. They will honour it if you are in the range otherwise ask BMW to do a good will and you might get some help towards it? Especially as this is a know problem.

Get the car check out first though as there are a couple of other issues that can cause problems eg the release bearing guide gualing and the clutch position sensor also.

regards

Jay

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey guys i have on 06' SMG. sounds like my SMG pump has failed from what i read on many threads. Now, my cars last digits of the vin is B582267. I dont have an extended warranty, the car has 42k miles. Will the dealer still honor the recall if there is any. I tried putting the vin into a generic vehicle recall website and nothing came up. Any thoughts?
how did u know that the SMG pump failed? did u diagnosis the car? sometimes ll be only some sensors or SMG pump relay. with ur car millage it should not be happened if u drive the car normaly :)

·
Registered
421 Posts
how did u know that the SMG pump failed? did u diagnosis the car? sometimes ll be only some sensors or SMG pump relay. with ur car millage it should not be happened if u drive the car normaly :)
Yes please let us know what steps have been taken to determine the smg. Some of the error codes are generic to where even a simple sensor may be faulty.

Please provide more details if you can.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok guys.... I took my car to the dealer today and they said i needed a new clutch and flywheel. with parts and labor, they wanted $4300. now does that sound about right and what else should i have them replace while the tranny is already out. I recall reading a thread about a clutch release sleeve or something like that.... any suggestions... Thx

·
Registered
421 Posts
Ok guys.... I took my car to the dealer today and they said i needed a new clutch and flywheel. with parts and labor, they wanted $4300. now does that sound about right and what else should i have them replace while the tranny is already out. I recall reading a thread about a clutch release sleeve or something like that.... any suggestions... Thx
What exactly did you experience? My car got the yellow and red cog and turned out to be the slave but was quoted clutch and flywheel. You really will not know until you bring the tranny down. What symptoms have you been having?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, when i put the car into reverse.. and barely tap the gas, it jumps back like 3-4 feet. when i put it into drive, it sounds like something is trying to go into gear.. as i gas it slowly, it feels like its not grabbing until like 3k rpm. as i continue to drive with very little power experienced, the gears make a thud sound as they go up or down in gears. when coming to a stop with the windows down, i can smell the tranny fluid burning. Now, remember i only have 42k miles on it and it was perfectly fine prior.

Now, i dropped it off at the dealer at 11am and they called me at like 3 saying i need the clutch and flywheel.. i'm assuming they haven't even taken out the tranny to see whats wrong. so my question for you is when did u find out it was only the slave. was it after they had taken the tranny out. and if so how did u know, did they call u and tell u it wasn't the clutch and flywheel. Because it would be rare for a sa to call and say its gonna be less to fix..

THANKS in advance for your help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts