BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is my turn I guess, the SMG pump, out of nowhere, decided to stop working. now I am aware of the old discussions on the pump issues, and last time I checked, rebuilding those units was not an option. I have checked the prices and they vary between dealers, from 3900USD to around 5500 USD. Does any one know if:

• is it possible to diagnose what exactly is wrong with the pump, and replace the faulty item
  • is it rebuild able these days, or still a myth :-(
  • what is the expected fair price for a new pump
the car was working great, and then after a 2 months stop. I came back trying to start the car, but battery was dead. I replaced the battery, and tried to start the car, but still the car does not start, with a message of shifring to Neautral. The shift knob was stuck and does not move to engage gears, I believe the pump was completely out. when put on scanner, the fault was that SMG pump voltage was 0.

Gents, your help is sight for sore eyes..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Start with the basics. Put 12v onto the pump and determine if it is physically broken or not. If the pump fires with the correct voltage applied then move on to the wiring. If the wiring checks out ok, move on to the fuses and so on.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys for the advise; quick update:

1. car was shipped in a container, upon shipping it was working terrific, however when arrived (a month later), the battery was completely dead, so I changed the battery with an aftermarket one, but then the PUMP was not starting
  2. even when key switched on, you don't hear the pump sound starting up
  3. we tried couple of used pumps, we where able to start up the car then (on the original pump we where not able to start up the car), but then they also where not good, as after reprogramming, they would come back and give the fault messages (low pressure I guess with the other used pumps)
given the above, we could guess that:

1. the relays are fine, other wise the other pumps would not have started the car
  2. Battery should not be the problem, as it was replaced with an after market one
  3. no physical damage appears to be have happened to the pump, during car shipping
the questions still are:

1. could it be due to aftermarket battery? that the pump is not getting enough juice?
  2. is the pump rebuild kit defined in terms of parts numbers?
  3. should the diagnostic tools drill down to what exactly is wrong with the pump?
  4. how can you diagnose if the pump is working without having to install it on the tranny? how do you connect it to 12 V battery without installing it?
I am skeptic of installing a used one, as there are no guarantees, where they could work for few months and then the same problem all over again. new ones are still in the range of 4-5 k USD

I guess I will have to run diagnosis again, and check deeper on the codes.

Any advise is most welcomed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you sure it is your SMG pump.

Are you sure the battery has enough juice in it.

The SMG pump could always be rebuilt. There is a rebuild kit from BMW.
Thanks, do you know what are the parts that are typically replaced, I guess the motor and solenoids are standard, but what about the rest?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Mine was going out for almost a year, loud supercharger whine sound. I got a new SMG pump, new rod bearings installed at the BMW dealer a month ago for about $5600 if I recall out the door. Difference is night and day. I took a oil sample when they dropped the pan to do the work and sent it to Blackstone. They said there was very little metal or copper in my oil and looked good. I had one rod bearing that was down to the copper and a few black carbon scars. About 87K on my car. The new VANOS pump got rid of all engine noise and the supercharger whine. Also mad a big difference in power. My personal account. Loving the car now and keeping it. Saving money for SMG pump if it gets FUBAR.

Sorry, was talking about the VANOS pump....still saving for the SMG if it goes out.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
By SMG pump you mean the whole SMG hydraulic unit? It should be >$7000 to install. The unit itself is around $3500.
Where did you get your prices from??
SMG pump is a little over $300 and the whole hydraulic unit can be had fro $3300. I got my whole SMG unit installed for $900 just last year.

ECS News BMW E60 M5 SMG Transmission Components

Or is it that prices in Canada are just a rip off.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yes, dealers in Canada are a rip off. These prices are not bad considering I was quoted somewhere between 7-8k for replacing smg hydraulic unit. I also have red cogs at start up and they quickly disappear. No warranty on this part so I will have do do something when IT completely fails on me one day. Need to find a good place that will install it for me.
Btw, battery, relays and smg pump already changed: no help with transmission warnings.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Yes, dealers in Canada are a rip off. These prices are not bad considering I was quoted somewhere between 7-8k for replacing smg hydraulic unit. I also have red cogs at start up and they quickly disappear. No warranty on this part so I will have do do something when IT completely fails on me one day. Need to find a good place that will install it for me.
Btw, battery, relays and smg pump already changed: no help with transmission warnings.
That is a crazy price, I got a slightly used one from Troy a vendor on here, $1300 for the whole SMG unit with only 1200 miles on it. Total price with installation was $2200 out the door.

Maybe you should drive the car across the boarder and have the work done here :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
That is a crazy price, I got a slightly used one from Troy a vendor on here, $1300 for the whole SMG unit with only 1200 miles on it. Total price with installation was $2200 out the door.

Maybe you should drive the car across the boarder and have the work done here :)
Yeah, that's what I'm probably going to do, Troy's website shows everything out of stock though.
Any good places that will install the part that you don't buy from them?

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Yeah, that's what I'm probably going to do, Troy's website shows everything out of stock though.
Any good places that will install the part that you don't buy from them?
Send Troy a message as he does not list all that he has on the site.

Any indy shop will install a part that you bring in, they just do not warranty the part as they did not purchase it themselves.

I myself called a few shops and asked upfront if they would install an item I had purchased and they said sure.

Reactions: laomaiv10

·
Registered
194 Posts
Send Troy a message as he does not list all that he has on the site.

Any indy shop will install a part that you bring in, they just do not warranty the part as they did not purchase it themselves.

I myself called a few shops and asked upfront if they would install an item I had purchased and they said sure.
Yes, I did. His price was good.
Maybe I should still drive on my current one as the car drives fine despite the red cog occasionally on start up.
It's really hard to diagnose the intermittent transmission malfunctions in this car, as the fault codes can be anything from smg to clutch.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Yes, I did. His price was good.
Maybe I should still drive on my current one as the car drives fine despite the red cog occasionally on start up.
It's really hard to diagnose the intermittent transmission malfunctions in this car, as the fault codes can be anything from smg to clutch.
As long as you have a way to get it towed and fixed once it goes out and leaves you stranded then you can keep on driving it. Mine went out in S.Cal about 400 miles from my house and I had to call a few local members to get a reputable shop that would fix it if I sent them the part.
Thank heavens for having a ton of members contact info in all locations as they do come in handy :1zhelp:

Reactions: laomaiv10

·
Registered
194 Posts
As long as you have a way to get it towed and fixed once it goes out and leaves you stranded then you can keep on driving it. Mine went out in S.Cal about 400 miles from my house and I had to call a few local members to get a reputable shop that would fix it if I sent them the part.
Thank heavens for having a ton of members contact info in all locations as they do come in handy :1zhelp:
This board is really great for this. Members everywhere!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts