BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Considering an E60 again and I have pored through the historical threads on the SMG issues. I'm asking you to boil it down for me...

Was the cause of the SMG debacle (red cog of death, flatbed trucks, etc.) ultimately attributed to the steering angle sensor? And does replacing this (as per the recall) fix everything? Or are there other fundamental SMG quirks?

Finally, at what build date were the SMG issues ultimately eradicated? That is, might I avoid SMG problems entirely by getting a 2008 or 2007?

Many thanks
Alps

·
Registered
316 Posts
Early 07 build, took delivery 3/14/2007 with absolutely no issues with SMG since. Have had to replace a faulty lambda sensor, but nothing else. Just pull the trigger on a new 08, the rear LED lights and improved interior touches with iPOD USB hookup, iDrive quick buttons is worth it over an 07.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I believe many if not most of the cars that had the "Red Cog" had to have their SMG Hydro Pump replaced.....mine included...my car was in and out of the dealer in 24 hours...

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
No SMG problems with my car, production date 09/2006.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
:applause: LOL silent Ashok? c'mon entertain us.

·
Registered
90 Posts
No SMG Issues

Hello all,

Considering an E60 again and I have pored through the historical threads on the SMG issues. I'm asking you to boil it down for me...
Went through factory recalls on my 06 and no issues with SMG/angle sensor/flatbed truck, or anything else. Over 18k miles by now....
:cheers:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I'm never buying another SMG car... ever!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had no problems with my somewhat early build 2006 M5. Sure there were a bunch of recalls but I never had a red cog of death with it and it never left me waiting for the flatbead to show up (knock on wood!).

-David

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm never buying another SMG car... ever!
C`mon Ashok ... They are running great ! .... You are going to get the SMG love that you deserve ! :cheers:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey Ashok....dont resist the temptation......

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Hello all,

Was the cause of the SMG debacle (red cog of death, flatbed trucks, etc.) ultimately attributed to the steering angle sensor? And does replacing this (as per the recall) fix everything? Or are there other fundamental SMG quirks?

Finally, at what build date were the SMG issues ultimately eradicated? That is, might I avoid SMG problems entirely by getting a 2008 or 2007?

Many thanks
Alps
Get the ESS Software and you will love SMG!!!!!:applause:

·
Registered
80 Posts
RCOD today at 70 mph. 2006 M5 locked in N and when I came to a stop about 400 yards down the freeway the tran. locked into 1st. M5 had to be dragged onto the flatbed reeking of a burning clutch. Car has already had the hydro unit replaced about 1 year ago. Cars at BMW now and I'm waiting to hear the diagnosis. I had just installed a RPI pulley and my fear is that BMW will call foul.

·
Registered
147 Posts
You are fine with going for an 06 model. They update your software and replace the SMG pump and you are golden.
This has happened to my 06 car and so far so good. Prior to that I also experienced the "Red Cog of Death" and wondered what the hell was going on with my pride and joy. It turns out that a sensor in the gearbox was faulty causing the car to not fully engage the clutch and therefore cause premature clutch and then flywheel wear.

Sensor replaced, clutch/ flywheel replaced & software upgraded (causing a full computer replacement).

As I said... so far so good...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts