BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Smg problem

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  VLStu 
#1 ·
Hello evryone I am new to this forum. I have a 2006 m5 85k miles smg. Ever since I bought it it has been having smg issues. 2nd gear is the issue for me because it throws a red cog if I wot going into 2nd or downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. My Indy is telling me to replace whole transmission with a used one. My fault codes are 4f40 and 4f85. I know 4f40 means smg pump undershooting but I don't think my smg pump is bad bc I can hear it prime when I open door. I've had the car for 2 months and all I've been getting are headaches. I talked to Troy and was going to go to his shop but have done so yet. Any help would be appreciated.

#3 ·
How long is normal? I can hear mine prime for about 3-4 seconds when I open my driver door before starting the car and I hear it periodically while at idle. Generally only for about 1-2 seconds when warmed up. No issues with my SMG at the moment...

#4 ·
There are tests that can be performed on the pump and the accumulator to see if your hydraulics are building and holding pressure correctly. What the best value for your mechanical ability is depends on how much time you're willing to put into troubleshooting.

If you can find someone or are willing to load up the software yourself you should be able to isolate the component that is giving you trouble fairly easily, however if you need to pay someone multiple times to do the diagnosis and isolation trial and error you may be just as well to pick up a good core and have it swapped all at once.

#6 ·
Troy just texted back today. I'm going to make my way up to Michigan since I live in Columbus Ohio. It's about 5 hours but I feel every shop I talked to are clueless on this car. Taking it to him seems like it would be the best for me. I was planing on going today but he has another project until tomorrow. Hopefully I'm free on Sunday to make my way up there.

#9 ·
Hi - I have a similar issue (red cog every 2-3 weeks) when shifting in low gears (albeit not at WOT). Indy shop replaced accumulator, indicating it was not holding pressure. 2 weeks later - same issue came back. They are now indicating hydraulic unit not pressurizing properly.

As I'm sure you all have dealt with - BMW price for this hydraulic unit (pn 21542282998) is ~$5700. Fast Attack Motorsports (Fast Attack Motorsports) has new OEM units for $3150, and rebuilt units with new pumps for $2150.

I have only seen one other post (positive) for a member using Fast Attack. Does anyone else have experience with them?

#10 ·
I believe that fast attack is JColley's business. He is a well-known member here with lots of knowledge, particularly about the SMG. I was having troubles with my SMG unit after it was serviced by the dealer (prior to my ownership) and leaking. JColley helped me narrow down common leak spots and I was able to fix my SMG hydraulics for free.

Hopefully you get your issue sorted and back to enjoying your car asap. ONE piece of advice, in case you aren't aware - while your car has this pressure issue DO NOT park it in gear. Park it in neutral with the parking brake engaged, because if your pump decides to take a dirt-nap you can't get the car out of gear for towing and could easily destroy your high-pressure VANOS system if incorrectly moved in gear.

#13 ·
Sounds a bit like my problem, I can upshift fine and downshift too just not from 3rd to 2nd. It crunches and then throws a red cog and looks out 2nd.

I have feeling its the 2nd gear synchro that is gone

#14 ·
Hi guys - update. I have been driving the car in manual mode (short trips) and it is hanging in there. I contacted Jim at Fast Attack (yup - the Jim Colley from the site) and he helped me out. I have found a local BMW Indy shop in Arlington TX that will take one of Jim's hydraulic units and install for a reasonable labor charge.

I appreciate the help from the members on the board!

#15 ·
On the road again

Hi everyone,

After a month in the garage, I am back on the road again. I purchased the rebuilt unit from Jim at Fast Attack Motorsports, and had a local independent install. I've put a couple hundred miles on the car, and all systems are back to normal.

Thanks to Jim for his great communication throughout the process, and to Sam & Joe's in Arlington TX for working with me on the swap.

Now I can start focusing on a brake upgrade ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.