BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You may have seen my previous post here where the paint on my SMG plate started bubbling. I was going to just buy a new plate for $180 but I took some inspiration from avlnch who had his painted matte black.

So I removed mine, shipped it out to IND Distribution (board sponsor), and in 3 days they stripped it, prepped it, painted it and shipped it back. Ended up costing me half of what a new one would go for.

It's an easy job but I figured I'd make it a DIY for those who want to tackle it but are afraid of breaking something. I’ll also add this to the master DIY thread sticky.

Part 1: SMG plate removal
1) Pull up on the leather boot of the SMG stick to release its plastic clips from the SMG plate (edit: you can also try prying off the clips by pulling up along the circumference of the hole)
2) With the center “hole” exposed, pull up from there on the SMG plate to unclip it from the center console trim
3) Lift the plate over the SMG stick by squeezing the rubber boot back through the hole. You’ll need to pinch the plastic ring on the boot to make it an oval to fit it through the opening.
4) Disconnect the cables for the POWER, DSC OFF, EDC and Shift speed rocker. You don’t need to label them since they each have unique connector shapes/colors.
5) Finally, unclip the two connected cables from the SMG plate. You do NOT need to disconnect the two cables from each other, just remove the pair together from the clip

Part 2: SMG plate disassembly
6) Take the SMG plate inside to further disassemble it
7) Pop off the POWER, DSC OFF and EDC buttons with a thin flat screwdriver
8) On the back of the plate, unscrew the 2 phillips head screws for each of the buttons and then you can remove the button housing
9) The Shift speed rocker is somewhat tricky. From under the plate, remove the rocker button by using a small flat screwdriver to wedge the button off the circular rocker mechanism (one on each side)
10) Once the button is removed, carefully remove the blue housing. The housing is held in place tightly by 4 snap in clips, not screws. Be careful as the corners may break as you are pulling it out. (I broke one of mine and IND fixed it before they painted it)
11) Store all 6 screws, buttons and button housings in a safe place.

Part 3: Reassembly
12) Once you have the new/painted plate, just follow the reverse of the directions above to reassemble/reinstall.

Attachments

·
Registered
985 Posts
Nice work. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Hope you posted this in your DIY thread!

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
can you elaborate more on how you removed the leather boot from the SMG lever? Did you just pull it straight up, pry it off?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
can you elaborate more on how you removed the leather boot from the SMG lever? Did you just pull it straight up, pry it off?
It's a little tricky because there is not much play in the leather, so you don't have much to grab onto when you are pulling it off. Rather than pulling up on the leather, it's easier to pry off the plastic ring from the bottom first (see the top of picture 1 for how the clips look). You may find that as you are pushing your fingers along the circumference of the hole to pry off the clips on the plastic ring, the whole SMG plate lifts up off of its clips as well. This is what happened in my case, then once the whole plate is up it is easier to separate it from the leather boot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts