BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old ankle injury that is making life miserable when I am driving my beast. I still like changing the gears myself and would like to replace my car with a 996 or a M3. I would like to hear from those that have experienced both manu-matic systems.

·
Registered
112 Posts
SMG is as close to a manual as you can get.

Tip/Steptronic trannys are basically automatics.

In my limited SMG M3 vs. my old step 323Ci, the SMG shifts far faster and it is more controllable, but it is far more jerky and not as smooth as a step/tip.

I'd still take SMG though.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
all the tiptronics Ive driven have sucked, I prefer the smg, yet I will say that in terms of the 911, I have never used their tip, yet my buddy says he loves his, just tap the button and it's great, per what he says...But usally I the ones Ive tried suck.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've got a 325i loaner car while my M5 is in the shop - this tiptronic (what is it called in the 325?) shifts more slowly than my wife's Honda Accord automatic.

I eagerly await the time I drive an SMG for the first time, but I still think I will always prefer a clutch.

Nidan, I'm sorry to hear that your ankle doesn't like your M5, that is too bad. Take care,

Paul

·
Registered
445 Posts
having owned a E46 M3 with SMG, I have to sa SMG all the way. There is absolutely no comparison to the tiptronic slushboxes. It's absolutely awesome for the track. Shifts are fast, does blips on downshifts (heel and toe), and civilized enough for the street with some practice.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
SMG definately...I've driven tiptronic type transmissions enough to know I don't like them (not in a Porsche, however...is it possible not to love driving one?). Although I'm not a huge fan of SMG, driving a so-equipped M3 at the BMW driving school was much more fun than I anticipated!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Buy a 911 with tip...much more fun to drive than an M3. I have had 3 M3's and 6 911's. Go Porsche!

Nidan said:
I have an old ankle injury that is making life miserable when I am driving my beast. I still like changing the gears myself and would like to replace my car with a 996 or a M3. I would like to hear from those that have experienced both manu-matic systems.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
SMG is definately my choice, tiptronic I feel seems to be there just so auto users can feel they have the option of shifting gears. My main problem is that the ones I have used(BMW 840ci & 530D) have both shifted up and down gears when it wanted. Not too sure of the Porsche would do that.

SMGII in the E46 M3 is great, upshifts might be a bit on the harsh side but if you learn to lift off a tiny bit at the right time it won't be a problem, downshifts are a joy. I am sure many people here can heel toe, but I can't so the quick and smooth downshifts are a joy.

Anyway, no comparason for me SMG all the way.

- Kin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts