BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to pick up an M5 for a project car... Would like some input on the Pros/Cons of 6spd vs SMG...

Is there anything else in the car that is different when you opt for 6spd vs SMG ? Do they have stronger diffs or transmissions by selecting one or the other... what about longevity of the SMG clutches? Do they require alot of servicing?

I am trying to decide which way to go and would like some expert input before I pull the trigger.

Oh... is it worthwhile to grab a 2007 vs 2006? Any major improvements in the 2007 model?

I havent owned an M car since my 2001 E39 M5 so I am just trying to get up to speed on the current lineups.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Just FYI, there are no 6-speed '06's so that narrows the '06's out if you do choose the manual transmission

Reactions: vrus

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Gustav! Thanks for the welcome... I am the same vrus from Mbworld.

I am looking at picking up a new project car and thought I would come join the board with all the info.. :)

It's been quite a while since I've had an M car so I'm trying to learn again...

Are you the vrus of mbworld fame :)

In anycase, welcome!

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
No other differences between 6sp or SMG. The were a few differences in options between the '06 and '07 (most notably the availability of a 6sp) but nothing that should affect a project car.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I believe that 2006 had SMGII and 2007
had SMGIII and the six speed option.
If you want the better SMG, I believe you should go with the 2007.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
whatever you do,......don't ask Ashok....Ashok has had experiences with the SMG's.........

Reactions: Ashok Arora

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Guys!

I am a 6spd guy through and through, but everyone I've talked to says to get the SMG because it is the quickest and most fun to drive.. Besides, I've never owned an SMG car before so I think I will try it on the M5 and see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
If you do not heel toe then for sure SMG. If you do then at least test drive an SMG. I love the SMG so much quicker and easier.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I was set on getting the 6 speed even after test driving SMG twice. I was reading on this board how much people loved SMG so I got the dealer to let me drive an SMG M6 for several hours of an entire day (had it over 7 hours) and I fell in love with it. If you plan on testing them out give SMG plenty of time since it is so different than what you're used to.
Also reset SMG when you do test it since the car you'll be driving was likely driven by many others with different driving styles (if a demo) which could be confusing to the computer trying to adapt to a driving style. Good Luck.
BTW every board member thinks they made the right decision whether 6sp or SMG.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I was set on getting the 6 speed even after test driving SMG twice. I was reading on this board how much people loved SMG so I got the dealer to let me drive an SMG M6 for several hours of an entire day (had it over 7 hours) and I fell in love with it. If you plan on testing them out give SMG plenty of time since it is so different than what you're used to.
Also reset SMG when you do test it since the car you'll be driving was likely driven by many others with different driving styles (if a demo) which could be confusing to the computer trying to adapt to a driving style. Good Luck.
Nope! Knew I made the wrong decision when i bought the six speed.........felt tired and old compared to SMG, that's a fact. :dunno:

·
Registered
836 Posts
Thanks for making me look dumb Barry! ouich
J/K. you're one of the few then. Most of the 6 sp owners are happy with their choice too. I wonder if they were to switch with SMG owner for a week how many would change their mind.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I agree with you. I have a 6 speed M5 and SMG M3. Sometimes I love the SMG and sometimes I love the 6 speed. I happen to use the SMG M3 for my track car. SMG is brilliant on the track. I went 6 speed for the M5 which is my daily driver and I don't have a long commute. Mostly local driving and the SMG would drive me crazy most of the time since it's lights and stop signs. SMG is perfect for the track. Redline shifts at 8000 RPM are great.... My next car will be a dual clutch system of some kind. Not to offend the SMG lovers, but I don't think the SMG is the best transmission for daily driving unless you have a lot of highway miles to cover. It's just not smooth enough IMHO.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Thanks for making me look dumb Barry! ouich
J/K. you're one of the few then. Most of the 6 sp owners are happy with their choice too. I wonder if they were to switch with SMG owner for a week how many would change their mind.
It's not you my friend, sometimes I feel tired and old too. :3: As you know the SMG/6 speed debate will go on forever. i don't know that anyone is totally right or wrong, it's just a choice and personal preference. For a project car a six speed might be the best choice just for it's lack of sophistication.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts