BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2009 BMW E63 M6, Sapphire Black
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if it is good practice or maybe even necessary to put the car in neutral when parking and also when at stop light?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I leave mine in 1st gear when parking and put into neutral whilst waiting at the lights. Force of habit!

I always drive in manual.

·
Registered
2009 BMW E63 M6, Sapphire Black
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I leave mine in 1st gear when parking and put into neutral whilst waiting at the lights. Force of habit!

I always drive in manual.
Do you use the center console shifter to get to neutral or is there a way to use the paddles to get there?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
OP - you might want to reconsider parking in neutral rather that leaving it in gear.
A voltage or SMG related issue has the potential to leave you stranded in gear.

·
Registered
13 Posts
OP - you might want to reconsider parking in neutral rather that leaving it in gear.
A voltage or SMG related issue has the potential to leave you stranded in gear.
Isn’t the above the main reason for the emergency gear release under the gator surround?

It does make sense though. I’d be more worried about my handbrake failing but you never know with these cars!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Isn’t the above the main reason for the emergency gear release under the gator surround?

It does make sense though. I’d be more worried about my handbrake failing but you never know with these cars!
I've never heard of this before, do you have any documentation/picture? I always leave my SMG in gear because I do not want to rely solely on the parking brake and figured if something happened dollies under the wheels were the only option but would love to know if there is something else to consider should that ever become an issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've never heard of this before, do you have any documentation/picture? I always leave my SMG in gear because I do not want to rely solely on the parking brake and figured if something happened dollies under the wheels were the only option but would love to know if there is something else to consider should that ever become an issue.
To be fair, don’t have anything afraid, I do remember coming across it on this forum though as someone came across it. I’m now doubting if this was an M5 and perhaps just a standard 5 series. Sure someone else will correct me!

·
Registered
128 Posts
To be fair, don’t have anything afraid, I do remember coming across it on this forum though as someone came across it. I’m now doubting if this was an M5 and perhaps just a standard 5 series. Sure someone else will correct me!
Probably regular 5 series. Torque converter autos commonly have emergency releases near the gear selector, they all might I’m not sure. I’m fairly certain there is nothing like that on smg. If the gear selector isn’t cooperating, you either gotta force it into neutral with ISTA or get some dollies.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
There isn't a bypass on this car. If left in gear and it won't start and you ultimately need a tow, the danger is if the tow truck operator tries to pull the car backward say out of your garage or parking spot without using rear dollies, your vanos pump will get destroyed if the motor rotates backward. I always leave mine N for this reason.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Most towing trucks should have a wheel dollie, not a direct experience with the M6 but I had to tow a SUV sitting on rotors and they had no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 13 of 13 Posts