BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had a bit of a scare the other day. I was on my way home from work, in traffic. As the traffic ahead of me cleared out, I accelerated forward in first, then second gear. As I reached down to pull the shift lever back to engage third gear, the car immediately next to me started to cross over into my lane. I was startled, and I reflexively started to bring my free hand back up to the steering wheel. As I did so, my hand bumped the shift lever forward. At this point I was in second gear, somewhere between 4000 - 5000 RPM (this is a guess). The next thing I know, the car sort of lurched, and I could hear/feel the transmission grind as it tried to shift into 1st gear. The engine also revved, I do not know if it revved because of an attempted rev-match or if it was the revs climbing as the car went into gear. It all happened -very- fast, and I was so shocked that I don't clearly recall. When the transmission started to grind and the revs jumped, I immediately let off the gas. I think I also put the transmission into neutral.

Needless to say, I am very pissed off about this. SMG is not supposed to downshift when it would cause an over rev. It states that plainly and clearly in the owner's manual. And truly, I don't know if there -was- an over rev, but it was close enough to cause the trans to grind when going into 1st gear. I am very unhappy with what happened and now the uncertainty I have over if there is anything wrong. I drove the car home and it seems fine. It's been 3 or 4 days now and everything -seems- normal. But the fact I'm left wondering what exactly happened and if it could happen again really bothers me.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Can't comment on the grinding noise, but pretty sure it will not let you over-rev. The rev-matching is quite normal. Downshifting to 1st gear is perfectly acceptable, and Ajax does it all day long, every day. If you attempt to downshift at too high a speed/RPM for the next gear down, it will not allow it.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ajax is absolutely correct. The SMG will not downshift if it will cause the engine to over rev. It just sits there and laughes at you.

Perhaps your clutch slipped.

·
Registered
536 Posts
My guess is that the SMG correctly shifted into 1st gear, taking the engine up to ~6500 rpm, and because you had your foot off the pedal entirely, you had some pretty violent engine braking and drivetrain backlash. Nothing too much to worry about.

Out of interest - why don't you use the paddle shifters?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts