BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess it's finally my turn. Went for a mini road trip (400km / 250 miles). On a few occasions I felt like the clutch was slipping. On the way back a few km's from my home I stop at a light and immediately get a transmission malfunction error and a second later the car shuts off.

Car won't start, put it in neutral. Tried to push it but it's stuck in gear. I'm stopped at a light where traffic goes roughly 90km/h / 55mph. Not cool...

A guy with a pickup stops to help me. He had a strap, tied it to the tow hook and was able to pull me to the side. There was a slight resistance as he began to pull and then the car felt like it popped in neutral. Not sure if that broke something or made it worse. But staying in the middle of the road wasn't really an option. Anyhow the tow truck would of done the same to pull it onto the flat bed. Tow truck took 1 hour and 20 minutes to show up.

I got my wife to come pick me up and brought my laptop. Was able to pull the code 4fa0. It's a little scary that you can get stuck like this.

My clutch has 55,000km so it could be worn out. The previous one lasted 50,000km. Waiting on the dealer to get back to me but I'm guessing they'll need to drop the transmission to find out what wrong. I'm wondering if I should order a clutch kit right now.

·
Registered
759 Posts
So the only indications were possible clutch slipping? No cogs at all? That's scary. Hope you get it sorted without too much pain. My clutch is original and 55,000 miles with no noticeable issues. That being said, I do very few WOT shifts.

·
2,149 Posts
I guess it's finally my turn. Went for a mini road trip (400km / 250 miles). On a few occasions I felt like the clutch was slipping. On the way back a few km's from my home I stop at a light and immediately get a transmission malfunction error and a second later the car shuts off.

Car won't start, put it in neutral. Tried to push it but it's stuck in gear. I'm stopped at a light where traffic goes roughly 90km/h / 55mph. Not cool...

A guy with a pickup stops to help me. He had a strap, tied it to the tow hook and was able to pull me to the side. There was a slight resistance as he began to pull and then the car felt like it popped in neutral. Not sure if that broke something or made it worse. But staying in the middle of the road wasn't really an option. Anyhow the tow truck would of done the same to pull it onto the flat bed. Tow truck took 1 hour and 20 minutes to show up.

I got my wife to come pick me up and brought my laptop. Was able to pull the code 4fa0. It's a little scary that you can get stuck like this.

My clutch has 55,000km so it could be worn out. The previous one lasted 50,000km. Waiting on the dealer to get back to me but I'm guessing they'll need to drop the transmission to find out what wrong. I'm wondering if I should order a clutch kit right now.
From that code alone its hard to say exactly what, but i think maybe a new clutch and or maybe the slave cylinder has gone.. Will have to drop the trans to check both...

Do you track alot or do you us LC or mash the gas off the start alot? Second clutch in such short miles is too fast.

Did you feel the clutch slip and rpms rise?

So the only indications were possible clutch slipping? No cogs at all? That's scary. Hope you get it sorted without too much pain. My clutch is original and 55,000 miles with no noticeable issues. That being said, I do very few WOT shifts.
Why are you selling? Whats next?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
When my clutch was spent, about 62k miles, it threw code 4FA0 as well.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There was no indication other than some minor clutch slipping the same day. I guess it's what I've experienced before when a clutch was going in previous cars.

From that code alone its hard to say exactly what, but i think maybe a new clutch and or maybe the slave cylinder has gone.. Will have to drop the trans to check both...

Do you track alot or do you us LC or mash the gas off the start alot? Second clutch in such short miles is too fast.

Did you feel the clutch slip and rpms rise?
It felt exactly like that but the slipping was very minor. I'm certainly not easy on clutches, I've been to the track (1/4 mile) quite a few times. This clutch has at least 75-100 launch control launches. Winters are also horrible on the clutch. And finally I use engine breaking quite a bit.

The dealer is dropping the transmission tomorrow. I'm sure the clutch is finished or close to it so I ordered a clutch kit from bimmerzone.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I'm sure your clutch is done too lol...You beat the hell out of your car! Hey, at least you get your monies worth.

Nick

·
2,149 Posts
There was no indication other than some minor clutch slipping the same day. I guess it's what I've experienced before when a clutch was going in previous cars.

It felt exactly like that but the slipping was very minor. I'm certainly not easy on clutches, I've been to the track (1/4 mile) quite a few times. This clutch has at least 75-100 launch control launches. Winters are also horrible on the clutch. And finally I use engine breaking quite a bit.

The dealer is dropping the transmission tomorrow. I'm sure the clutch is finished or close to it so I ordered a clutch kit from bimmerzone.
O man lol.. You have the full 4K RPM LC i assume aswell? Sounds like the clutch might be up for sure then.. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I'd respectfully ask that you get the title change. The SMG didn't leave you stranded! You just ignored the warning signs that your clutch was on its way out and got stuck.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
I was expecting another SMG pump but this is just normal clutch wear.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'd respectfully ask that you get the title change. The SMG didn't leave you stranded! You just ignored the warning signs that your clutch was on its way out and got stuck.
Well the warning signs only occurred the day of. A couple of 500rpm slips. Just enough to notice something is odd but not enough time to see the rpm needle move. I've had clutches go on previous cars and it's a gradual process. You get slippage under high load, hills, etc...

In any case I just didn't like being stuck in gear and unable to move the car. If it is in fact the clutch that's gone, I'm not blaming anyone but my right foot.

I still love the beast :haha:. Even though I've done rod bearings, throttle actuator, front brakes and now clutch flywheel in the last year. My wife thinks I'm crazy.

On a side note Bimmerzone really came through for me. I called at 13:00 and they shipped the clutch / flywheel the same day. I'll get it tomorrow. $90 for 2 day international shipping!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally got some news on my car. It sat at the dealership for over a week...

They dropped the transmission and told me the failure was due to the clutch cylinder. As I suspected my clutch is also on it's way out so I'll be replacing it while the transmission is down.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts

What; the clutches are always changing in this car even after a new set of internals. In certain situations the computer decides that all the conditions require the clutch not to engage making the driver feel like it is slipping! Hell if you leave it in drive and you want to make a quick exit it can be down right dangerous; those were early days of learning so now it's never in D in those situations.

With that said I see nothing wrong with the heading; if the car gave no error code and only slight shifting delays or perceived or actual slipping I would have went on with my day; well until it stopped me;)

Cheers!

·
Registered
34 Posts
In certain situations the computer decides that all the conditions require the clutch not to engage making the driver feel like it is slipping! Hell if you leave it in drive and you want to make a quick exit it can be down right dangerous; those were early days of learning so now it's never in D in those situations.

Cheers!
Sorry to ask but since I'm a brand new M5 owner who has only been reading up on the car for the last month or so, why does putting it in D have any difference or bearing than leaving it in full manual mode? My wife who may sometimes drive it will certainly put it in D so if this is a bad practice I would love to know about it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Sorry to ask but since I'm a brand new M5 owner who has only been reading up on the car for the last month or so, why does putting it in D have any difference or bearing than leaving it in full manual mode? My wife who may sometimes drive it will certainly put it in D so if this is a bad practice I would love to know about it.
I have had my car two years, and I drive in D mode 99% of the time. The difference between S and D mode is that in D mode, the computer decides when to shift plain and simple. In S mode, the gearbox and clutch stay where you put them, even to the point of hitting the rev limiter if you keep it floored without upshifting. The only time the gearbox takes over in S mode is when coming to a stop. The gearbox will down shift and push in the clutch to avoid stalling the engine.

What this means when driving in D mode is that the gearbox will shift up/down depending on conditions when "you least expect it" which may cause "loss of control" over the drivetrain when you are not expecting it. The best example is when slowing down and then suddenly needing to accelerate. You may push the gas pedal during the exact moment the gearbox decides to be shifting causing an "out of sync" situation. In this case, there will be a lag in power being applied, possibly a bang as the gearbox engages with the throttle at an advanced position.

To prevent these situations, the driver needs to be aware of the imminent shift by the gearbox, and not apply power until you feel the clutch re-engage with the new gear. You have to anticipate the shifts in D mode, and this happens only with experience and attention to the driving conditions. IMHO, of course...

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
^ most of what he said, but my main issue is at times say you are taking a right turn and need to push into traffic quickly. On more than a few occasions and why I no longer use D unless cruising on freeway is at times when you goto make a maneuver you press throttle and when seconds count it decides to be dumb and sits there thinking about what it wants to do. At the same time you're thinking I'm going to F'ing die as traffic is barreling down on you. This is why I never use D in quick or panic maneuvers any longer.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
"Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer-Bimmer View Post
In certain situations the computer decides that all the conditions require the clutch not to engage making the driver feel like it is slipping! Hell if you leave it in drive and you want to make a quick exit it can be down right dangerous; those were early days of learning so now it's never in D in those situations.
Cheers!

Originally posted by Sid3ways
Thanks!" (QUOTE)

Perhaps there is a tune that cuts the SMG decision making time by deleting programing for rare and unlikely scenarios that the SMG has to check for and process.
Also look at the possibility of adding programing that delays and overrides actions in progress such as an up-shift upon sudden throttle application (hold the lower gear for acceleration), as well as programing that delays a down shift when throttle suddenly release (hold higher gear in order to avoid a jerk).
Is the Euro Tune better in D-mode?

I can get a standard 6-sp M5 in order to avoid issues with the inexperienced having no knowledge of the unpredictable nature of D-mode.

But I can not see my Wife buying into the idea of purchasing a 3rd car that she cannot drive.

There must be a solution that the Wife of Sid3ways and my Wife would find acceptable?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Just drive the car in manual mode and you'll get use to it. Once you do you'll really not care it has a D mode unless you are truly just cruising!

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I drive in S mode most of the time, but one time I was cruising at 70mph in D5, pushed the M button and floored it and HOLY SHT it selected the perfect gear for that speed and the car pulled really hard till I let off at 120mph.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts