BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 08 M5 with an smg is bucking and jerking like an amateur driving a performance clutch for the first time. It is also very jerky when up and down shifting. I know that my throttle actuators are on the way out and am wondering if that could cause the jerky transmission? Maybe because the TA's are giving the transmission false readings about how much the fuel has been backed off or added?

I'm going to contact the guy I bought the car from because supposedly it has a new clutch, but I don't have the paperwork for it. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Its not your actuators, it would go into limp mode if it was them.

You need the full clutch adaption via DIS. I find you adaption needs to be done every 6k miles to keep it feeling smooth.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I've finally gotten around to running the adaptation on the trans. It has solved the bucking problem but now I am thinking the clutch is slipping. When hard on the throttle and shifting it seems to slip and won't shift while on the gas. After the test drive I could smell the clutch. I'm new to BMW and all the technology for the smg. Could this be anything other than the clutch wearing out?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Ok, I've finally gotten around to running the adaptation on the trans. It has solved the bucking problem but now I am thinking the clutch is slipping. When hard on the throttle and shifting it seems to slip and won't shift while on the gas. After the test drive I could smell the clutch. I'm new to BMW and all the technology for the smg. Could this be anything other than the clutch wearing out?

Thanks
How many miles on the vehicle?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just about 80,000. I bought the car about 6 months ago and the dealer told me it had a clutch done recently but had no documentation and was kinda shady it turns out so I don't believe him.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I just picked my car back up yesterday and had almost everything changed out - prior to my clutch starting to fail - which basically only had half of the material on one side left - it smelled like burning clutch when I got on her with a lot of WOT this started on Saturday - I got a small amount of shutter on take off and stop this started on Sunday, did SMG reset - Monday M completely stalled out stopping at light and began slipping between 3000 and 5000 RPMS if I applied anything other than slow gradual throttle - I already decided that a new clutch was immediately needed Sunday. Did the SMG reset several times and it really didn't seem to help and had to knock the car out of car coming to a stop so I didn't stall - ordered all the parts below - did SMG reset several times but it didn't really seem to have an effect until I did it at about 80MPH down a long steep hill on one of the roads going home. I just did it several times and it madge a HUGE difference almost no shudder at take off - none at slowdown - shifting was good but if anything other than gradual throttle above 3000 RPM was applied the clutch slipped. Have more pictures but this is what the original clutch looked like - see below - I picked the car back up yesterday and have put 125 miles on her getting her back home - the SMG has never felt like this - smooth - easy shifts - I am amazed - I'm no expert by any means but I would be suspicious of the clutch - I bought my car with 59K the clutch started doing this at 94K - it sounds like what I was experiencing which I posted about in another thread http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/524298-driveline-shudder-takeoff-coming-stop.html

OEM Parts
1. Clutch fork lever
2. OEM Clutch Kit (clutch disk, pressure plate and throwout bearing)
3. 9 sprocket bolt
4. 1 rear crankshaft seal
5. 4 Torx bolts
6. 2 exhaust gasket rings
7. 4 header to exhaust nuts
8. 1 spring clip
9. 2 transmission mounts
10. 1 shaft seal
11. 1 universal flex disc "guibo"
12. driveshaft center support bearing
13. dual-mass flywheel
14. Throwout bearing guide tube
15. Slave Cylinder

Non OEM

1. ECS performance clutch fork pivot pin (Brass)
2. Vaico driveshaft center sleeve

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^ thanks for the detailed reply. I was experiencing similar things to you. I don't see what else it could be. There are no codes and no check engine light so the clutch would make the most sense.

·
Registered
272 Posts
^^ thanks for the detailed reply. I was experiencing similar things to you. I don't see what else it could be. There are no codes and no check engine light so the clutch would make the most sense.
Yeah - it's pricey I just replaced my Throttle body actuators and idle control actuators as well less than 30 days ago - in my opinion the throttle body actuators would not do what you are experiencing. Plus if they were failing you would be getting reduced power and lots of faults.

The labor is pretty intensive and I would highly recommend changing everything out while they are in there. I can't tell you how much of an improvement it is - honestly, it's like a different car.

Hope you get your baby fixed soon :) Good Luck

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
The jerkiness and slamming into gears is due to a sticky clutch release bearing. Well known failure point on the smg. You need a new clutch kit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts