BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read most of the SMG related threads but didn't exactly find what happened to me earlier while I was on the way home.

The car pretty much bangs into every gear now. it slips a little first, then bangs into gear very violently. There was a lot of traffic and I was scared that it would buck into someone's rear end so I pulled into the nearest parking lot and shut the car off. strangely enough, there are no lights or codes thrown on the engine nor tranny(I drive with my scanner). Luckily, my home was only 5 minutes away from the lot so I decided to limp it home. When I'm at a dead stop in 1st, as soon as my foot makes contact with the gas pedal, the car VIOLENTLY bucks forward, then slips and catches again. When I shift up, it takes a really long time for the gear to engage and feels as if the car is confused then it BANGS into gear. During the "auto" downshifts as I'm slowing down, I can hear my poor diff grinding and noises coming from the driveshaft.

I'm still under warranty and my question is where do I go from here?

is this a clutch/flywheel/bearing issue? what are the symptoms with smg?

is my diff gone? what would the symptoms be?

I'll be getting it towed to the dealer tomorrow I just wanted to kindly ask this board for advice on what I'm walking in to.

if this sounds like a clutch, I'll have to do it myself.

Thanks.

·
Registered
307 Posts
When you're moving is the clutch slipping? It may be something (relatively) simple like the release bearing has finally failed, hence the banging and jerking. Trouble is, to check, means labour and so whilst in there many put a new clutch in, which obviously increases $$$£££££.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
- SMG speed output speed sensor calibration first (P.180 of owners manual).
- Full SMG adaptation second.

If those don't help, then and only then start looking for mechanical problems.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I, for my own reasons, decided to get it towed to our workshop instead of having the dealer take a look at it.

JColley, if you're referring to the smg reset procedure "60mph, N, both paddles down for 3-4 seconds", I have tried this many times with no success. Our manuals may be different. My P.180 doesn't have any information on any reset procedure. The adaptation was another thing I thought about. I read your story about how the adaptation transformed your car for the better. edit: this is my first SMG car and am still learning lots about it.

Broadoakboy, In 1st, it bangs forward, slips then catches again. I feel that I've lost a ton of power in 1st gear. Everytime I shift up, it would slip first, then catch. I first started noticing the car slipping at 4-5krpm shifting to 4-5-sometimes 6. Now its just in every gear. I hope this makes sense. I find that quite a few people find it hard explaining smg symptoms. I too have a suspicion that the release bearing has failed. Since the tranny will be out, I may as well change the clutch too.

I'll be changing the clutch kit + release bearing myself. Then I will beast it to the dealer and have them do the adaptation. I will hope for the best then. $1200.00 in parts so far....

Funny, I just spent a ton of time and money fixing my lady's 3 series' suspension to keep her safe. On the same evening I gave her car back in perfect condition, the M6 starts behaving weirdly. Coincidence? oh well.

Thanks really...for helping to point me in the right direction. I`ll take some pics of the work this weekend.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
What are you reading the codes with? If it's not BMW software, it may not be probing the SMG module where they are stored. If it is BMW software, then you already have what you need for the adaptation...you might save yourself some dealer headaches.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I am using a Launch X431 Auto Diag Scanner so you're right. It probably wont probe the SMG module. Its a pretty good scanner as it lets me scan every single system in the car individually.

I ordered a K+ DCAN USB interface. I believe all I need now is BMW DIS, INPA, and TIS? Theres a DIY in the master thread on how to do this adaptation. I'll be following those steps and hope I dont run into the same troubles a poor member on there got. I'll update.

thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts