BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has anything close the the issues I am having right now? So was driving in second gear accelerating when all of a sudden orange cog with car going hard into limp mode. Car drives alright in gear with no slipping but when you go to change gears it takes a long time to do so and it shifts very hard ( best way to explain it is it feels like someone whos never driven a standard dumping the clutch with no gas and causing a real bad shift). At a stand still the car almost stalls everytime you start because the clutch work is so awful it feels like its dumping the clutch without giving it any gas.

So the dealership here ( a local job since we have no bmw) decided that the differential was toast. No idea how they came up with this idea but they had alot of play in the rear dif and they claim the driveshaft was siezed so they replaced both. Went to drive the car and it still has the same issues.

Anybody have any clue what this could be. They did a scan and nothing comes up at the engine. On the transmission someone claims that they got a code for the rear tire speed sensor. They tried disconnecting the ABS to see if that was the issue but still didnt solve anything.

When driving the car once its in gear it drives just fine. The only thing is once you hit 5k rpm the car goes into limp mode and holds itself back from revving any higher. The other thing is the only way to drive the car without any real discomfort is to shift from first gear all the way to 7th to cause the shifts to be alot easier.

Please SMG experts out there help me ive only owned this car for 3000 miles and have had the car in the shop now for over a month.

:dunno:

thanks for whoever can help

·
Registered
224 Posts
My car did that to me the one time the Leyshaft sensor failed in the SMG.

It was literally there for about 1 second but it behaved similarly, i was in 1st went to 2nd and it BANGED it in so hard i thought something broke. But I had a code set, "input shaft speed improbable".

Maybe you just need to have your shop do a transmission adaptation, the full one.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Again, this is why I feel the need to drink heavily.

Layshaft sensor is what tells the SMG module the rear wheel speed.

Absolute fundamental lack of understanding on your shop's part if they believe the ABS has anything to do with that. And disconnecting ABS on an E60, they're lucky the whole car didn't implode.

In order for a shift to happen smoothly and quickly, it's sort of important for 1 thing to happen:

flywheel RPM has to match pressure plate RPM as the slave cylinder starts to engage the clutch. Flywheel speed is determined by the crankshaft position sensor on the lower, forward, right hand (5 o'clock position) of the transmission bell housing and pressure plate by the layshaft sensor just aft of that on the 3 o'clock position aft of the bell housing above the gearbox oil cooler.

SMG.jpg

Once it is replaced, make sure the complete SMG adaptation is performed using DIS, ISTA, or INPA. While there is nothing about this sensor specifically taught or stored during the adaptation, it is used to check the layshaft movement during the clutch slip point determination phase.

Is this a BMW specific shop if not a dealership? I would demand the old parts of the diff for examination. If the driveshaft was seized, the car would never have moved at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jcolley your my hero. I didnt believe anything was seized because the car drove just fine as long as you were in said gear and stayed there. The only issued occured during a gear change. If you had seen my earlier post as well, you would have seen that my car had busted the Crank position sensor clean off from noone knows what 7 days into owning the car. This shop is BS and doesnt know anything about what they are doing. Im gonna send the old differential to a bmw dealership for examination because this is alot of time without my car for something that was probably alot more simple to replace.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Again, this is why I feel the need to drink heavily.

Layshaft sensor is what tells the SMG module the rear wheel speed.

Absolute fundamental lack of understanding on your shop's part if they believe the ABS has anything to do with that. And disconnecting ABS on an E60, they're lucky the whole car didn't implode.

In order for a shift to happen smoothly and quickly, it's sort of important for 1 thing to happen:

flywheel RPM has to match pressure plate RPM as the slave cylinder starts to engage the clutch. Flywheel speed is determined by the crankshaft position sensor on the lower, forward, right hand (5 o'clock position) of the transmission bell housing and pressure plate by the layshaft sensor just aft of that on the 3 o'clock position aft of the bell housing above the gearbox oil cooler.

View attachment 425842

Once it is replaced, make sure the complete SMG adaptation is performed using DIS, ISTA, or INPA. While there is nothing about this sensor specifically taught or stored during the adaptation, it is used to check the layshaft movement during the clutch slip point determination phase.

Is this a BMW specific shop if not a dealership? I would demand the old parts of the diff for examination. If the driveshaft was seized, the car would never have moved at all.
I know I speak for all of the members when I say we are very grateful you frequent this forum :applause:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts