BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you also own a 7-series, you should subscribe to the BMW drivercircle http://www.bmw-drivercircle.com . They give you your own BMW e-mail address as well, but it's somewhat slow since the server is in Germany. Anyways, back to my point, they have a discussion forum where questions can be posted and BMW engineers reply. The questions can be about anything, as I found out recently. One of the questions posted involved the SMG transmission and the new E46 M3. Here's what the man said:
SMG will be offered as an optional extra for the new BMW M3. This is planned for release in the North American market in the course of the coming year. We are also working on developing the SMG for the M5, also to be offered as an optional extra. This, however, is still in its development phase, so I am unable to provide you with an exact date for its release in the USA. I ask for your patience in this matter.
Yours sincerely,
Hans Heiland
Now that would be a dream come true.. BMW's F1-style transmission in the M5!! I wonder if they will come out with it before the E39 production run ends...

·
Registered
212 Posts
i don't want to sound like an idiot but what is a SMG?

john

[This message has been edited by leebro1 (edited 03 November 2000).]

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Okay, for 2002 I'll expect an M5 Touring with SMG.

My life has meaning now, I have something to look forward to.

·
Registered
141 Posts
About 8 month ago, i got inofficial information directly from BMW.

They are trying to build the M5 with the SMG,
but the gear-boxes they installed couldn't
handle the massive torque.

Hope they will have an solution soon.

Daniel

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Hmmm. I got this staight out of this month's Roundel, page 43.

It would certainly be consistent that the name only really equated to something in German (like "VANOS"). But on the other hand, sequential manual gearbox is a pretty reasonable interpretation for english. Whether it is suggested/blessed by BMW, I have no idea.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I do know either what the SMG is..
but from what I understood from the above messages is that the SMG is like the "Tiptronic" or "Steptronic" or whatever the name is... but only bmw's version, although it already has one (like on the e46 3 series)?
GMB

·
Registered
141 Posts
gmb,
that's not correct.

The SMG is the same system Ferrari is offering for the 360 Modena.
Ferrari is calling it "Formula 1 Gear box".

The difference is, that with an "Steptronic" you still have the automatic-gearbox while
the SMG is based on the manual gearbox with the clutch replaced by an electronic system.
This will allow you gearchanges within tenths of a second.
(BMW claims 0.4 s)

Hope that helps.

Daniel

[This message has been edited by BigArnie (edited 05 November 2000).]

·
Registered
301 Posts
www.hevanet.com/lar/e46m3/smg2.jpg

that is a pic of SMG II to be available on the new e46 M3... i can only imagine that if or when the 'box makes it's way to the M5, it will bear very similar looks to this unit...

for the record, did (or does) anyone own an M3 with the original SMG 'box??

------------------
ho nuovi calzini su!!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Both Greg's and Gustav's explanations of SMG have been used here interchangeably in the US. I guess in Europe it's only called Sequential M Getriebe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts