BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With SMG II in the M3, if you were on a hill and you took your foot off the brake the car would roll until you applied throttle or used the hill holder assistant. Does the DSC+ -and/ or- the SMG II in the new M5 cause the car to remain in place until you pull off?

How easy is it to drive for someone who has never driven a stick shift?

·
Registered
218 Posts
For hill assist - its great. "automatically" holds the car for a couple of seconds after you released the handbrake or footbrake then you move off. But it does roll after that if you dont move off. But no messing around with left paddles like M3 on hill assist activation manually.

Very easy to drive and SMG similar to SMG on CSL rather than M3. Tho' a little slower on change downs from 2 to 1 at junctions or roundabouts when in automatic mode.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Jeremy Clarkson complained about the gearbox (slow, dimwitted and jerky) and mentioned specifically that "you roll forwards and backwards on hills."

I wonder if it's just him not understanding the technology again (hello Jezza, that's not the volume button) or if it doesn't work real well... I remember BMW made a bit of song and dance about it in press releases, so wether the technology actually works well or not remains to be seen, but it is certainly supposed to be a feature..

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
The more you need to understand and the less similar it is to what people find familiar, the more functionally complex it is. With that said, the hill roll issue is among the least important. Even automatics roll backwards on steep hills and the SMG appears far easier in this regard than a true manual.

Tom

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I must disagree with you on the rolling. Automatics will roll a tad on a very steep hill. On lesser inclines they will not roll at all. One big problem we had with the SMGII was the car rolled far too easily for my wife's taste. It can be downright scary if you are not used to a stick shift. If you are its nothing to worry about. It seems they have made progress to address this.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Two secs seems reasonable - way more than enough time to transition between brake and throttle even with single-foot operation, but not so much time as to enable gratuitous wear on the clutch.

Tom

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with you Tom on the time. However, if the system is using the brakes to do the holding then perhaps it could be something the driver could configure via idrive. Maybe 3 choices of: 0 seconds, I like the manual car roll feeling; 2 seconds; 5 seconds ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was surprised to find it roll back at a stop light. I would imagine that holding it on an incline with the throttle would seriously compromise the clutch, and one should treat it as they would any manual box and engage the handbrake immediately.

It also still has the annoying feature of declutching at very slow speeds and not engaging again promptly.

·
Registered
188 Posts
In my CSL when I have to drive out of my driveway in reverse the car will roll forward in a hurry umless I gas it.. then the race tyres are cold so all I do every single day is lay a quick 1-2 seconds of rubber as I reverse up the hill.. coz thats the only way to stop the car from rolling without doing the whole Hill-Assist procedure!

SMG will roll.. unless you use the Hill-Assist.. I duno about SMG III though.. probably will be the same!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts