BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
You're right I had no idea the positive wire had a disconnect function.

Back to your problem - the two codes you listed up there will prevent the car from starting. You can use a jumper on the black relay socket to apply 12V direct to the motor. Must short the relay switch terminals. You should also measure 12V in one of the terminals, that will tell you if power is getting to the relay.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
i put the new relay in . nothing has changed although the battery is a bit low. i suppose i should get that straightened out then try it . if i am not getting power to the relay, what does that tell
me exactly? thanks

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
What makes you think the relay is not getting power? Where did you measure voltage? You should get a multimeter, make sure the motor gets power, then go from there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
i have no reason to suspect the relay isn't getting power. i will check the voltage in a few minutes. do you know if a version of inpa is available that has the smg related stuff in english? cause mine is in german

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
not exactly . new relay is in . didn't help. i think i am gonna have it towed to the dealer just so they can tell me exactly what is wrong - then ill fix it myself
(if it is something like the smg pump motor. ) what software do you use? cause the version of inpa i have has all smg related stuff in german ,making it a pita to work with.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Dealers are useless. The official approach is to replace the whole SMG unit (~$5k last I checked, plus labor).

I prefer to diagnose before throwing parts at it. You need to check for voltage getting to the motor. IF it's getting power but not turning you got the bastard. Then again I'd say 90% chance your motor is dead. So if you want to just go ahead and replace it well...

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
2 Participants
flacoramos
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing