BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

smg help please.thanks

4K views 27 replies 2 participants last post by  flacoramos 
#1 ·
hello . i have a 07 m6 . i am getting the following errors.

4f60 smg: hydraulic unit: on period
4f42 smg: hydraulic unit: activation frequency ,pressure build up

car will not start. i do have inpa any help will be so much apreciated. do i need a new pump motor?
i replaced the salmon relay already.

#3 · (Edited)
Most likely new motor. Note motors can be refurbished, just need to clean and modify the brushes. See the E60 side of the forum for instructions.

As for why it won't start, once the ecu turns the motor on for too long without seeing a pressure increase a code is set (likely 4f60) and the ecu stops trying. Resetting the codes should get it going again. Motors will work intermittently when bad.

AND THERE IS NO SALMON RELAY ON THE E60/1/3/4 SMG. Sorry couldn't help myself :D
The pump motor relay is black.

#4 ·
ok so maybe it is the relay then if it is not salmon. that would be awesome. i have reset the codes already to no avail. yah i figure it is probably the motor. i wish i knew a good trustworthy indy shop
that actually knows about smg stuff around here. i have brought it to two supposed bmw shops and i am pretty sure i knew more than they did about the issue.
so i think i am gonna do the following
pull motor and try to refurb it myself
if that fails , buy a new or refurb motor
i have inpa but all the smg stuff is in german and makes it a pita to figure it out .
should i be looking for a newer version or different software to calibrate it once motor is installed?

thanks for your help i do appreciate it

#9 ·
so ill just explain the situation; the car was hit on the side. it sat for about a year . i finally got around to fixing it . had to install new door. the door handle was damaged in the process.
so the sensor that turns the pump on when car is opened had broken.it threw a code for door sensor smg no working. i replaced the entire door handle unit . the code was reset and it
never came back. but ever since i can't start the car. so it was working when it was hit , but it did sit for a year. i just ordered the correct relay W0133-1632490 just to give it a try. it will be here friday

#11 ·
and i had a shop replace the crash sensor on the battery just to be safe. he said he indeed replaced it but somehow it looks the same to me . i don't have any other codes other than the two i quoted up top . is there a way to bypass the crash sensor just to make sure he actually replaced it?
Can you tell what is the "sensor that turns the pump on when car is opened"? Also what code are you referring to for "door sensor smg no working"? Last what is the "crash sensor on the battery"?

There are no such sensors at those locations, or you're thinking something else.

#10 ·
and i had a shop replace the crash sensor on the battery just to be safe. he said he indeed replaced it but somehow it looks the same to me . i don't have any other codes other than the two i quoted up top . is there a way to bypass the crash sensor just to make sure he actually replaced it?

#14 ·
from the smg manual:
"unlocking the car or opening the drivers door wakes up the gm which sends a wake up call to the smg control unit . awoken the smg looks at hydraulic pressure stored in the accumulator.Pressure greater than 45 causes the smg to wait for starting initiatio. hydraulic pressure under 45 bar , causes the smfg to energizse the hydraulic pump relay . powering up the pump to build pressure in anticipation of a start sequence. "

#15 ·
i can email you the smg manual direct if you like . it is handy to have . it's a hall sensor in the door handle . the car will not start without that sensor being triggered. that is what wakes up smg . not the brake pedal, although brake pedal must be pressed to start car

#16 ·
The door sensor is just that - a door sensor. It sends it's status and through a different module the car wake up command is sent (guessing CAS). Same as the remote. Same as pushing the start button on the dash when car is in full sleep mode. Same as unlocking a door with comfort access. I'm sure I'm not listing all but hope you get the idea.

When woken up the SMG checks for pressure and may command the pump depending on current pressure and other factors (like you described).

The sensor on the battery negative post is the IBS. It's purpose is to sense battery current and voltage to determine battery charge, discharge, health, etc.

You said you have inpa. Try turning on the pump manually see what happens.

#21 ·
You're right I had no idea the positive wire had a disconnect function.

Back to your problem - the two codes you listed up there will prevent the car from starting. You can use a jumper on the black relay socket to apply 12V direct to the motor. Must short the relay switch terminals. You should also measure 12V in one of the terminals, that will tell you if power is getting to the relay.

#27 ·
not exactly . new relay is in . didn't help. i think i am gonna have it towed to the dealer just so they can tell me exactly what is wrong - then ill fix it myself
(if it is something like the smg pump motor. ) what software do you use? cause the version of inpa i have has all smg related stuff in german ,making it a pita to work with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.