BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
You could message Jim at FAMS and see if he still rebuilds HPU's for the SMG. You are pretty deep now so it is hard to say what the next step would be? If you were doing it yourself the details could be watched much more closely. If you trust the shop you could let them continue to try and figure it out. Misdiagnosis is the killer of BMW's, so many dollars spent with no results.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks for the suggestion Alan, I emailed him a moment ago. This is turning into somewhat of a nightmare. While I haven't attempted this type of work before it may be something I need to get into as at least I would know the actual pitfalls and details of the issues. Unfortunately I don't have access to the hoist/lifts to venture into the job also had concerns with depressurizing the system but I might need to figure out how and where I can make that happen.

·
Registered
499 Posts
You have the links for the work, I did mine laying on the ground with the car on stands. Fare warning the exhaust, shielding, skid plates and maybe the drive line need to come out to get in there. And don't forget the clutch solenoid. It's a good car and worthy of the investment.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Proper root cause diagnosis on these SMG is really hard, virtually impossible if you are not actually touching it.

The irony is that the hydraulics are actually very simple. I'm not talking about modern Autos. I'm not saying that simply because I used to work for GM Powertrain either. Compare that with the Automatic transmission, they were all operated by far more complex hydraulics circuits and had no electronic controls until the 80s. It was a hydromechanical computer. For all the auto transmission haters, they are making a resurgence taking back over what was the domain of the DCT. The F90 M5 uses the ZF8HP for a good reason. A small one being that at this point in time, ZF can't make a refined, durable, and reliable DCT or SMG. Yep, hard to beat a torque converter for low speed driveline refinement. Also massive torque and power transfer that cannot be matched by friction disc clutches.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts