BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday, after picking up (new to me) 2006 E60 and driving from LA to Bayarea without any issues, I met a local guy to the get the SMG euro tune. The tune itself went fine. However after that the clutch adaption did not complete and gave an error. The software is in german and it gave this one error (in the show report option). All fields said that process was complete, except the clutch adaption. The specific error (translated to English) was " disengagement position outside the permissible tolerance". We tried the process on the person doing the tunes 2006 and it completed fine. My car did not get to the last stage of the process where you have to start the engine and then shut it off. The guy did not know about other coding options in the software, so he could not help.

The car now has a red cog and the "clutch adaption active" message. It drive fine - just like before, except with the Euro tune.

I am wondering if I need to take it to someone with a GTI who can finish the process, or is it a sign of a part needing replacement?

any insights? Feeling terrible about going to get the Euro tune and doing the clutch adaption which seems like a good to do thing otherwise :crying:

thanks for help.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
May I ask who did this for you in the Bay Area? Did you make it back to WA?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
May I ask who did this for you in the Bay Area? Did you make it back to WA?
I wish it was a shop:crying:

It was a 2006 owner with the software downloaded on his computer. To be fair, we went back to his car and repeated the process and it worked fine on his 2006.

I just made it back to WA - all fine. The red cog and message "clutch adaption active" is still there. Other than that the car runs fine. Any suggestion? Seems like the clutch adaption process has not be completed....

Btw - driving 1.5 days with a gong every second is interesting....after some time it starts to feel like a heartbeat for the car :wroom:

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
The problem is unrelated to the SMG flash. The adaptation process is identical across all versions of SMG software since it's really just a sensor and solenoid hydraulic valve calibration.

The error you are seeing probably happened on the first of the three steps, right?

Unfortunately, this is part of teaching in the clutch valve and INPA, DIS, and ISTA/D all perform the process the same way. In stroking the clutch slave cylinder as preparation for the test, a minimum and maximum value are attained to ensure the clutch valve test will properly execute. In your case, the slave cylinder isn't able to extend far enough to meet the criteria.

There are a couple of possibilities, one easy, one not.

The first, check the SMG fluid level and run the bleeding process. If the reservoir is low, it may have trapped air in the system preventing full extension of the slave.

The second (and unfortunately more probable) is your slave cylinder is bad. It isn't extending far enough and causing the adaptation error. There have been a few members here with similar problems.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem is unrelated to the SMG flash. The adaptation process is identical across all versions of SMG software since it's really just a sensor and solenoid hydraulic valve calibration.

The error you are seeing probably happened on the first of the three steps, right?

Unfortunately, this is part of teaching in the clutch valve and INPA, DIS, and ISTA/D all perform the process the same way. In stroking the clutch slave cylinder as preparation for the test, a minimum and maximum value are attained to ensure the clutch valve test will properly execute. In your case, the slave cylinder isn't able to extend far enough to meet the criteria.

There are a couple of possibilities, one easy, one not.

The first, check the SMG fluid level and run the bleeding process. If the reservoir is low, it may have trapped air in the system preventing full extension of the slave.

The second (and unfortunately more probable) is your slave cylinder is bad. It isn't extending far enough and causing the adaptation error. There have been a few members here with similar problems.
thanks, how does one check the SMG fluid level? Is that possible without a GT1?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I had a similar problem with my car but the CRB bearing had failed. It isn't a problem related to changing the programming, there is likely a transmission issue that you were not aware of previously.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have had tons of issues running the clutch learning process. Even on cars with brand new clutches, slaves, flywheels, valves, and PLCD. The solution? Run the test over and over. Eventually it works. There was one particular car that I had to run the test almost ten times for it to pass.

Although, since you didn't do any work on the car, there is a chance there is a problem with the slave cylinder or clutch and by programming it and having to re learn the values, now it's outside the tolerance range

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would love to try to re do the adaptation process....that seems quite simple to do. Except that I don't have the software with me....I am sure it can be downloaded somewhere. In case anyone has a link I would appreciate that.. thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
So yesterday, after picking up (new to me) 2006 E60 and driving from LA to Bayarea without any issues, I met a local guy to the get the SMG euro tune. The tune itself went fine. However after that the clutch adaption did not complete and gave an error. The software is in german and it gave this one error (in the show report option). All fields said that process was complete, except the clutch adaption. The specific error (translated to English) was " disengagement position outside the permissible tolerance". We tried the process on the person doing the tunes 2006 and it completed fine. My car did not get to the last stage of the process where you have to start the engine and then shut it off. The guy did not know about other coding options in the software, so he could not help.

The car now has a red cog and the "clutch adaption active" message. It drive fine - just like before, except with the Euro tune.

I am wondering if I need to take it to someone with a GTI who can finish the process, or is it a sign of a part needing replacement?

any insights? Feeling terrible about going to get the Euro tune and doing the clutch adaption which seems like a good to do thing otherwise :crying:

thanks for help.
Is this the guy you saw on craigslist?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes...though in all honesty there was nothing wrong in what he did. Except, I wish he had stopped at the Euro tune and not done the adaptation...

·
Registered
15 Posts
He is a decent guy. But he does not know to fix error when things go wrong. Few weeks ago I let him flash euro smg on my m6 and he froze my smg control unit. My car ended up in the dealer which they could not do anything to fix. So I had to replaced another smg unit and she started right up. I am not trying to flame him, but when it come to flashing software he is not up to the job. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts